Childe | Make Believe

"Please try out my new soy milk pudding!"

"Piping hot Peking duck over here!"

"Kites, plushies, cars, and more toys for sale! First few customers get a free goodie bag!"

Immediately, the younger male next to you lets go of your hand and rushes over to the stall without waiting for any of you to catch up. You sigh, shaking your head, as the ginger-haired male on your other side shouts after the boy.

"Hey, Teucer! Don't run off on your own like that!"

"Look, he's just at the toy stall right over there. Let's go check it out," you reassure, pointing to the place you're referring to.

An elderly male who you usually see around the area is running the stand with a warm smile gracing his face. His eyes crinkle in greeting upon seeing you and Childe. He nods.

"Ah, you must be his parents. Welcome, welcome! Your little boy here has been so kind to me, so please, allow me to give him an extra toy." His gaze softens toward Teucer.

Childe raises his brows, glancing at your quiet state. He tilts his head, humming to himself, as a faint smirk is present. "Did you say our little boy is being kind?" he asks happily, slinging an arm around your shoulder, pulling you in close.

"Childe..." you say under your breath, sending him a you-better-stop-playing-around look. He acts like he doesn't see nor sense your warning as he strokes your head.

"If you really don't mind... then... thank you very much, sir. Go ahead, Teucer! Pick whatever you want. This cutie here will pa—"

You interrupt his sentence with a forehead flick and a, "Me and what money." He pouts and presses his palm against his forehead, fake tears forming in his blue eyes.

"Hooneey!" he whines, tugging and nuzzling his face against your arm, "I thought you love me."

Love...?

Simply by hearing that word causes your heart to beat faster as you grip onto your shirt. It's evident he's just joking around, so why are you getting so flustered?

You take a gander at him to see he's staring right back at you so intently with a flushed face. "I... um..." he trails off, moving away from you. He averts his gaze to the side.

"You're getting embarrassed? You're the one who started it, you know..." you murmur.

Childe replies with his usual, infectious laughter. He rubs the back of his neck. "Y-Yeah, I did...! I just... I didn't expect to see you getting so embarrassed..." he explains, still looking elsewhere.

"Plus... you looked really cute..." he admits quietly.

Chuckling from nearby catches yours and Childe's attention. You two turn to the source of the sudden noise and see the old man shaking his head.

"Seeing young people in love always makes me feel young again." He closes his eyes as if remembering something important.

You sense slight sadness in his voice. Without wanting to pry into his life, you decide to pick up a large dragon kite and comment on how beautiful and intricate it is.

The vendor's eyes sparkle and he proudly says, "My wife actually made this a few nights ago. Fine craftsmanship, isn't it?"

"It really is," Childe says, smiling a little, glancing at you. Teucer skips over to his brother, three ruin guard figurines in his small hands. He eagerly pushes it into the male's stomach, jumping up and down.

"I want Mr. Cyclopses, big brother!" he exclaims.

"Again, Teucer? Don't you have a bunch at home already?" He heaves a long sigh, smiling a bit.

Teucer shakes his head, acting as if he isn't aware of the sundry of ruin guard figurines back at home. From the regular and brown ones to the colored and decorated ones, his collection of Mr. Cyclopses continue to increase.

"Let him grow his collection. It doesn't hurt to have more, right? The more the merrier," you comment. "Plus... this little guy is too cute to resist."

You observe the figurine; it's exactly what a ruin guard looks like, except it's presented in an artistic way with its rosy pink color and delicate, floral designs.

"Oh... I suppose if you put it like that..." he says, pondering over your words. After a while, he sighs and takes out a pouch of mora. "Okay, okay. You both win."

Teucer and you high five, grins written across your faces. "You're the bestest person, (Y/N)!" he whispers in excitement, which of course, Childe clearly hears as he turns around with a pout.

"Hey...! At least actually try to whisper. You're making me tear up over here."

-♡-

I'm trying to slowly make my way through all the characters I want to include in this book before doing anymore repeats, but I was in the Childe mood.