Baizhu | To Confess Or Not To Confess

"(Y/N), please pass me the lotus head and glaze lily," your master murmurs, filling in the silence with his soothing voice.

Your jumbled thoughts break for a moment as you blink a few times, coming to a realization that you're currently on shift at Bubu Pharmacy. Having your mind drift elsewhere isn't good... your complete attention and care is imperative to the task at hand.

Quickly, you grab the necessary materials—a green and red plant—and extend your hand in his direction. "Here you are, Dr. Baizhu."

Much to your worry and confusion, the plants in your hand are still present and unmoving. Why isn't he taking them...?

Some soft hissing sounds, almost sounding like they're intended to mock, can be heard nearby. You've been an assistant for enough time to know that the creature is laughing, likely finding you to be an amusing show to watch.

"Heh, the little statue can't do anything right today. What a pitiful sight."

With your usual blank stare, you finally look up at the talking snake that's wrapped around your master's neck. In a silent response, you poke her at the empty space in between her dark pink eyes, causing her to sharply move away—her tiny tongue showing.

"Stop with your ridiculous pokage! I'm not a toy," Changsheng hisses.

"And I'm not a statue," you retort.

Baizhu chuckles. "Let's all settle down now and not disturb the evening. Changsheng, your earlier comment was not necessary," he scolds gently while grinding the plants together in the mortar. "As for you, (Y/N), it appears your mind has been elsewhere."

You lower your head and sigh through your nose, your initial thoughts gradually coming back like a tidal wave. It's difficult to explain how you've been feeling because quite frankly, you don't know if these feelings you're experiencing are genuine or not. They seem to have appeared out of the blue a week ago, and even now, you still don't have a complete grasp of them.

He continues, "I'm certain you understand the significance of focusing, especially when it comes to the case of making medications for people. One incorrect ingredient can be faulty, and we don't want that. Glaze lilies and silk flowers are vastly different in regard to properties and usages."

You watch the green-haired male continue grinding until a paste is formed. He then takes a bit of the product in his fingers and rubs it, feeling for the consistency, before putting it back into the mortar after approving of everything.

"I understand," you reply firmly, hoping that a simple and straightforward answer as this will be acceptable to the male; you don't want him to question further.

Of course, luck is always on your side, isn't it?

"Mind if I ask what's on your mind? Confiding in another often helps us ease up."

Changsheng makes some hissing sounds, but this time they're in curiosity and amusement. Ignoring the heaviness in your throat and your soaring heart, you take a deep breath and sigh, turning slightly to lean against the table.

Baizhu sees the seriousness of the situation and stops writing, placing the pen down carefully as he flickers his golden gaze to you. He rests his arms on the surface. "I'm ready to listen to your troubles."

Where should you even start...? In fact, how does a person with a crush go about sharing their feelings? Shouldn't a simple "I like you" or "I have feelings for you" suffice? That's what you've always thought, but according to the various answers from your friends, you're not sure what's the best route.

Option A: incorporate a joke into the confession. According to Cyno, using a joke is the most effective, particularly a pun.

Option B: confess and get it over with. This is the most commonly shared answer among your peers, with some of them adding an element or two. For example, Collei thinks confessing at a quiet scenery is the best.

Option C: forget it; hide your feelings forever and know that you'll die all alone with a lost confession. Your ghost will be stuck in the human realm, unable to move on as you're filled with immense regret.

Your brows furrow at the last option; it's so negative and depressing... who said this again...? Oh, wait. It was your sad self from last night, and then Itto tried to encourage you to "just confess like the badass you are!" by talking about your regretful ghost.

"Well..." you begin, sounding bored and disinterested in the conversation (when really, you're just trying to hide your nervousness).

Changsheng adjusts herself around the comforting place of her guardian's neck. "Is this conversation getting anywhere, little statue?"

Baizhu shushes her. Before he can say anything more, you abruptly face him, your figure very stiff like a statue. In your mind, you're constantly repeating "option B, option B, option B" since it's the safest. You either receive mutual feelings, a consideration, or a rejection.

For some reason though, and it must be the damn nervousness, but you stray away from your settled option.

"Let me Baizhu a drink this weekend, if you are interested, Dr. Baizhu."

-♡-

Option A is always the best option. Trust me, I'm a certified confession expert and recently graduated with a degree in "Confession" and a minor in "Puns".