Neuvillette | His Distraction

"Oh Kiara, where did you go...? I just took my eyes away from you for a mere 10.3 seconds...! There's no way you sped away that quickly, right?"

The answer to your rhetorical question is pretty evident by now. After an interminable time of searching within the Palais Mermonia building (making sure to check all the tiny spaces too), you decide to quickly move to the outside area in hopes of finding the pink Melusine standing around.

Unfortunately for you, there is no pink blob in sight.

"Oh boy..."

Of all things that can happen on—what was supposed to be—a relaxing and pleasant Saturday, the last thing you want is to feel the wrath of Talochard. Her incessant scolding from a few months ago still clouds your mind to this day, and to receive another one is not ideal for you. Her angry face is already haunting you, and you swear you can see her watching you from the shadows and bushes.

This thought makes you jump in place as you get back to searching for Kiara. You were supposed to be a babysitter of some sorts and make sure she doesn't run off to who knows where; only thirty minutes of your time, and yet... you still ended up losing her. It's all the cute poodle's fault for making you shift your attention away for a moment!

"Oh, I should've known better. Talochard did repeatedly tell me to not look away for even a second," you mumble, your shoulders slumping as you realize that it is indeed your fault and not the poodle's.

Well, still. The poodle is partially to blame.

Or... perhaps not. You've always known Kiara as the one Melusine who gets lost in her own dreamy world from time to time. Once she sees something of interest from afar, it's like she's a puppet being controlled as she disappears to whatever has caught her eye. She moves swiftly and quietly on her feet, because by the time you turn around, she's gone.

To say you're only getting a looong lecture is being too generous. You're definitely getting assigned tasks to do as well. As bad as they are as is, you feel awful for losing Kiara and worry about her safety.

"The cause of your distress is safe and sound," a gentle voice calls out, his footsteps approaching your deflated figure in a graceful manner.

The tears seem to flow back into your eyes as you lift your head, your face lighting up upon seeing the Chief Justice with a dazed Kiara close to his side. You can't help but sigh in pure relief, crouching down to the small pinkness as you hold her tiny hand. "Kiara, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to look away, I just got—"

"Intrigued by another dog's adorable nature, I presume?"

The white-haired male seems to know every single thing about you: your jumbled thoughts and the words that are about to be spoken, to your adoration for certain things and how easily you get immersed in them. It's like he's always observing your movements in silence at a distance.

And once again, his correct assumption doesn't fail to make you ramble as you share about what got you so distracted this time around.

"Yeah, it was a really cute poodle dancing on its hind legs! You should've seen it, Neuvillette!" you exclaim, your eyes sparkling as you chatter on and on about the dog. It isn't until after about five minutes when you finally stop, still smiling up at him.

Neuvillette hums in thought and regards you with a slight nod. "I understand you get easily distracted rather often, but please be mindful of Kiara. You two are alike in this aspect, so it concerned me greatly when I overheard Talochard conversing with Furina about the job assigned to you."

It sounds like he figured something may have happened, and so he went out of his way to locate Kiara before going over to check on you. To imagine the serious male genuinely caring about your well-being makes you laugh out of the blue. As if. He was likely only concerned for the Melusine's safety, and rightfully so. You were being careless, after all. Still, the thought of your secret crush being concerned about you (even if just a tiny bit) makes your heart flutter.

Purple eyes stare in curiosity. What made you react this way, to hear your loving and carefree laugh? Your bright and crinkled eyes staring up at him is making his heart react strangely. It's... twisting and soaring, but in the most positive way. He felt like this that other time too...

After a moment longer of silence, the two of you simply gazing at each other, seemingly sending quiet messages of love and warmth, the male flickers his eyes to the sky and clears his throat.

"I will take my leave now as there is paperwork I must attend to again. Please do not make me lose focus on my work, and be careful of your surroundings," he states before turning away.

As you wave goodbye and wish him luck on his job, you're unaware of the faint smile gracing his face, eyes closed as he savors this newfound, fluttery feeling washing over him. To be truthful, he doesn't mind that you're the reason for his work to get interrupted. Once he heard of your duty to babysit Kiara, he immediately stopped what he was doing to check on the situation.

It's known by everyone that he cherishes all Melusines, but what they (and you) don't know is how badly he has fallen for you and your distracted nature.

-♡-

Neuvillette also finds your distracted nature cuter than any poodle dancing on its hind legs. But don't tell him I exposed him, okay? It's a secret between us.