12

I was running up the stairs with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Not a word I had said to Taehyung had been a lie.

Two days ago

I had begun to familiarize a little with Taehyung, and was much nicer to him than he had been in the past. Though, we were still far from achieving the bar of civil communication.

I had actually begun to make the effort to go to Taehyung's room and call him for dinner, usually I would send one of the butlers to do it. And Taehyung had reciprocated-a bit.

But it was a bit. For a while it actually seemed like the marriage had begun to work-that it could work.

But then one night I went to call Taehyung for dinner. I had cooked jjangmayeon with less spice, the way Taehyung liked it. I stopped outside the door and raised my hand to knock, but stopped when I heard Taehyung's voice, loud and clear and happy, through the oak paneling.

'I haven't talked to you in ages! How are you, my cupcake?'

I froze, and my hand dropped to my side. 

There was a pause, and Taehyung laughed. I had never heard him laugh before-not in my presence, atleast. It was a tinkling little laugh and it made my heart contract painfully. Who could the person on the other side of the line be?

'Yeah, right. You probably miss the way we used to cuddle together in bed, don't you?'

Another pause, and then another laugh. 'Oh, don't kid me. You miss your handsome oppa, don't you? Don't worry, I'll see you soon. Very soon.'

The other person spoke, and I, who had almost begun to back away from the door, stopped short as I heard the girl's voice.

A girl. The voice was loud and high-pitched and excited, filled with flirtatiousness to the brim. Taehyung had apparently switched his speaker phone on.

'How's your husband doing, Oppa? Have you two kissed yet? Ugh, I can't even imagine how gross you two must look, kissing and hugging and cuddling and-

'Shut up, you,' Taehyung's voice is suddenly low and rough. 'You know there's nothing between us.'

'You sure about that?' The girl's voice, high and teasing, jars my nerves to such an extent I almost consider walking away rather than eavesdropping further. 'I saw your wedding photos, the way you two were sucking up to each other...you almost looked like you'd completely forgotten about your cupcake.'

'Of course I hadn't!' Taehyung's voice is raised in indignation. 'You know I love you the most in this whole wide world? My cupcake, my baby. Can't wait to see you soon.'

'I look forward to seeing you too, Oppa,' the voice finishes off with a giggle, and I hear the sound of Taehyung hanging up the call. I turn away from the door, no longer desiring to call Taehyung for dinner, sick at heart.

So all that noble, self-righteous talk about not cheating on your partner when married had all been a lie. A big fucking lie. From what I could make out from the damnable phone conversation, Kim Taehyung had known perfectly well that that was exactly what he had been doing and that he didn't give two shits about it. He didn't give a shit about me or my life or my feelings. Even though I did not have any feelings for him, the betrayal cut to my heart and for a few moments I just stood stunned where I was, then turned away and walked back to my room with a heavy heart.

I hadn't had dinner that day, and Taehyung didn't ask me to either, which only worsened my hatred for him. I did not cry; I am not one for self-pity. I pondered divorcing him. But I had made up my mind that he would be the one to break first and demand divorce; not me. And whatever I went through, I was definitely going to stick to the plan. I hadn't come this far, tolerating everything, for nothing.