24

Jin

I stepped into the house, tired from another long, long day at work. But this time I was both mentally and physically exhausted.

I sighed deeply as Jimin's tear-stained, doubt-stricken face came again and again to my mind.

'Hyung, do you like Jungkook?'

I let out a short laugh. 'Why would you say that?'

'Hyung,' Jimin surprisingly lunges forward and grabs my shoulders, looking intensely into my eyes, 'just answer the question, will you?'

'Fine, I don't!' I'm both puzzled and hurt by Jimin's strange behaviour. 'Why on earth would I like Jungkook? He's my partner, that's all. My business partner.'

Jimin's face remains tense, his jaw muscles rigid. 'You sure about that?'

I stare at him. 'Yes, I'm sure.'

He relaxes, his hands leaving my shoulders and coming to rest in his pockets. 'Sorry, Jin. For a moment, I thought...'

'What did you think?' 

'That you were in love with Jungkook.' He speaks rather fast, as though he's scared about what I'm going to say afterwards.

As a matter of fact, he should be.

'And why,' I say in an cold voice, 'would I be in love with him?'

'Because, well, you know, I just thought- since your marriage isn't working out and stuff, you might-'

'Excuse me?'

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it that way-'

'Are you implying that I would cheat on Taehyung? Did you really think I would stoop that low?'

'No, no, I didn't-'

'I thought you were my best friend, Jimin-ah.' I have no idea why my voice is so unusually hard and why my hands are so stiff at my sides and why I'm talking to him this way, but what I do know is that his words struck a few hidden strings in my heart that were better left untouched.

'I thought you were my best friend. I thought you supported me. Never in my life would I have thought that you would accuse-'

'Seokjin, I didn't-'

'I'm disappointed in you.'

Jimin bursts out. 'Me? You're disappointed in me? Seriously, Jin? You're the one who I should be disappointed at, here.'

I stare at him, laughing in disbelief. 'Me?'

'Yes, you! I don't blame you for being stuck in an unhappy marriage, Jin, but that doesn't mean you can just go around-' he breaks into tears, '-stealing p-people's hearts!'

That does it for me. 'Stealing people's hearts, you say?' It's hard for me to keep my voice down given the circumstances, but I have to unless I don't want to rouse the whole building. 'Me breaking people's hearts? Do you even know what the fuck you're talking about, Jimin? Do you have any fucking idea? I've been trying to contact you for days and all I've been getting is your stupid cold glances and one-word messages and you fucking ignoring me all the fucking time, and now you drag me down here to ask me stupid questions that have nothing to do with me whatsoever, and then you think you can go around just blaming me for whatever shit? Do you have any idea what you're saying, huh?'

I fall silent after the outburst, breathing heavily. Jimin only stares at me, his eyes wide and shining with tears, his face crimson with anger.

'Who do you think you are, Jin?' He doesn't even bother to keep his voice down. 'Just because I'm your best friend, you think you can-'