48

I know these chapters might seem boring, but trust me, we'll get to the action soon enough😚also, I'm sorry for going on such frequent hiatuses, it's just life😔😔

'So, what are you planning to do first?' Jin asked Ken, as they sat together inside a small cafe the next morning. Ken had emailed Jin the location to come meet him so they could carry out their investigation together, and Jin had acquiesced, albeit his raging doubts.

Ken bit his lip hard and stared out the cafe window. 'I think the most important thing to do first would be to contact some of the prominent dealers of explosives in the city, see if any of their customers made a purchase specific to the one that blew up your car and caused the incident.'

'Won't we need some sort of license to do that?' Jin frowned. 'It's not likely they'll just tell us- besides, wasn't the explosive bought, or manufactured illegally?'

'I know it was, but this is the only lead we have for now. We could at least try, see if something comes up. Something useful.'

Ken gets up and is about to exit the cafe when his wrist is grabbed by Jin, who pulls him down with an unusual amount of force. 'Wait, Ken.'

'What?' Ken's eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

'You do have some useful information,' Jin's eyes are hard as he looks at Ken, still not letting go of his hand. 'You promised me you would, but you haven't told me yet.'

Ken sighs and gently withdraws his hand. 'All in good time, Jin. I know you are frustrated and eager to get to the root of things, and so am I, but I must also keep in mind the various factors that are going to play an important role in our investigation- and one of them is you, Jin. I cannot afford to mess around with you or risk losing you because of misplaced information-'

'I would consider this messing around with me, and, if you forgot by any chance, it is me who is Taehyung's husband and not you,' Jin's temper is steadily rising at Ken's constant beating around the bush. 'Why don't you just tell me the details and get over with it?'

'I said no, Jin,' Ken repeats, firmly, and Jin realizes there is no way he can get the information out of Ken just yet. 'You promised to trust me. Is this what you call trust?'

'No,' Jin replies. Like I could ever trust a low-life, cheating bastard like you.

'Well, then, you must believe in me and do what I say, because I have vital clues that will help in our investigation of that fatal accident. You would not like to lose them, would you?'

I see you've still not changed one bit, you blackmailer, Jin thinks, bitterly, but he only nods, getting up and retrieving his coat from the back of his chair. He bows to Ken. 'Of course I wouldn't. Your support and intelligence is something I highly require to get to the truth behind the whole thing, and I am prepared to do whatever it takes.'

The last part of the line is not a lie. He is, indeed, prepared to do whatever it takes. His hands tighten momentarily into fists, but then he takes a deep breath, counts to twenty, and immediately feels better. As little better as someone as his situation could feel. Not that he really felt anything these days.

The waiter arrives with the bill. Jin takes out his wallet to pay for it, but Ken immediately stops him. 'No, wait. It's my pleasure.'

Jin stares at him. For a split second, he is reminded of Tae- as he keeps getting reminded, every moment of every day, over and over again- boxy smile, bright, twinkling brown eyes, unruly curly locks falling over them in ringlets as he insisted on paying the bill instead of Jin, over and over again. Tae's strong hand closing around Jin's wrist, preventing him from even touching the receipt....accidentally pulling him forward so their chests bumped into each other's.Their faces close, too close, both reddening with the proximity. Telling the inquisitive waitress how in love and happily married they are, turning around briefly to flash the flustered Jin a mischievous grin and then returning to the counter. Tae's hand wrapping lightly around his waist as they leave the shop, as though he were afraid Jin might trip and fall over any moment. Leaning forward to lick a spot of ice-cream off the side of Jin's mouth-