34

Here's one last update before I disappear for the winter break.😩

Jimin

I've been calling Jin for the past two hours, and he still isn't picking up.

I ring him for the twenty-second consecutive time, and, thank the gods, he picks up this time.

'Hey, Jin, I've been trying for so long-'

'I'm extremely sorry,' a flat voice says, at the other end. 'I regret to inform you that this phone has been switched off or is out of network coverage or Mr Kim Seokjin is too busy to bother about people who don't even try to contact him or receive any of his calls. Please try later.'

'Oh, Jin, come onnnnnnn!!' I manage the best pout I can as I speak into the phone. 'I'm sorry I didn't call you before, I'd gone on a long extended leave to meet my parents and the rest of my family. You're still not mad at me, are you?'

'I don't know,' Jin replies, peevishly. 'What do you think?'

'Look, I'm sorry about what I said,' I tell him, earnestly. 'I didn't mean to say all that awful stuff to you- it just sort of came out, all on its own. Come on, Jin, we've fought about bigger things than this, you're not going to not talk to me just because-'

'Just because?' Jin says, sharply. 'You called me a playboy.'

'No, I didn't!' I say, horrified, because I didn't.

'Yeah, but you said everything that led to that,' Jin says. He doesn't sound very good- I mean, he doesn't sound like his usual self. But then he doesn't sound like the moody, sulky Jin either. He sounds like something entirely else.

'Anyway, I'm joining back at work tomorrow,' I tell him, brightly. 'I'll meet you in the office and apologize properly for everything I've said- like I'm doing now, Jin, I really am sorry-'

'You don't have to,' Jin says, shortly. 'I quit.'

There's a break. And then I find my voice.

'W-what?'

'I quit.' Jin says, and his voice has once more attained a flat telephone-service-like quality. 'I quit my job at Jeon Corp. To be precise, I broke off my collaboration with Mr Jeon Jungkook, and now I'm back to Kim Bakeries, simple and short and sweet.'

'Excuse me-' I can barely react, let alone speak. 'Kim Seokjin, you did what?'

'I told you,' Jin says, sounding irritated. 'I quit my job at Jeon Corp. I mean, I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to, tomorrow. I'm going to go to the office and-'

'What in the seven levels of hell- Jin, what's gotten into you?'

'I don't know.'

The curt answers anger me. 'Listen, Jin, this might not be a big deal to you, but it is to me! Why-'

'Not a big deal to me?' Jin laughs. 'I'd like to hear you repeat that.'

'Listen, Jin-' I can sense another fight brewing, and I don't want to blow up at Jin at a time like this, as explosive as my emotions are at the moment.

'Listen, Seokjin, you've got to give me a reason! Why the hell would you just decide to quit like this? All of a sudden-'

'Mr Jeon kissed me.'

There's a sudden silence. My heart drops, as does my voice. 'Mr Jeon.....what?'

'He kissed me. Jeon Jungkook kissed me.'

'O-oh.'

I don't know what to say.

'I'm sorry, Jimin-ah.' Fuck him and fuck his useless apologies- at this point, I just want to throw the damn telephone receiver down on the floor and shatter it to pieces, apology and all.