Chapter 13

The pair made their way around the majority of the castle, of course some rooms were off limits like the Queen's personal rooms, Aerilyn got to visit the servant quarters which were more pleasant than she thought they would be, there were quite a few humans about as well which made her feel at ease, there were no obvious signs that they had been harmed. What she did notice was the amount of guards stationed around the castle, it really was like a fortress.

There were a lot of rooms for meeting and hosting events, a guards room which for obvious reasons she was not allowed into. It was nice to escape the confinements of her room, what was noticeable was the amount of whispers of others noticing Aerilyn and saying "that's the Queen's pet" or "she smells delectable", Nilsa sensed her uncomfortableness.

The girl had found out that her main power was detecting people's emotions and the closer she was to someone in a friendship or romantic way, the more she could feel what they felt.

"They won't hurt you, nobody can touch what belongs to the Queen" she tried to make Aerilyn feel better but it didn't work and she felt like a mere plaything, someone's property, this made her feel dirty. Nilsa noticed her slip up in the way she had spoken, she hadn't meant it to come across that way, it was suppose to be a compliment.

Aerilyn changed the subject quickly. "Are there any books here, if so, am I permitted to read?" she questioned.

"You can read?" Nilsa asked Aerilyn amazed, looking her up and down.

Aerilyn nodded my head sheepishly.

"You must have been quite young when things changed which is why I was momentarily shocked, but I am sure we can find you a book or two" at that Nilsa led her to another room down the hall, the doors were grand, carved with beauty, there were intricate designs on the door.

 As she opened the door, her jaw dropped, there must have been a million books, she began looking at them, becoming lost in all the books, they never had as much as this where they were living before, they were lucky to have half a dozen of books.

Aerilyn picked out a couple of romance and fantasy books to which Nilsa then led her back to her room as it was now the evening, she ate dinner alone as Nilsa had some things to attend to, but that did not bother her as she was now reading to escape reality.

It was quite late into the night when she put her book down, Aerilyn lay on the floor wondering if her brother was still alive, how might she escape here and be back with her family. she lay the book beside her and curled up into a ball on the floor, it wasn't the most comfiest position but it was a lot better than what she was use too.

Her thoughts went back to her earlier conversation with Nilsa about mates, could humans have mates as well. In essence she was immature to relationships, they didn't happen as often anymore because of the way they now lived. Her mind was racing, trying to process the change in her life that had occurred, Aerilyn now had standards to upkeep and rules to follow and with that she drifted off into sleep.

Again, Solenne had entered Aerilyn's room after a long and stressful meeting, the generals had been proposing a war which was not what the Queen wanted and so she found herself in the girls room every night, calming herself down.

This war meant the annihilation of werewolves and what was left of the humans as they were seen as the sole enemy, enough lives had already been lost and more were not needed in her eyes.

The Queen sat down across from the girl in the dark, watching her breathing and listening to her soothing heart beat, thinking what she could do with her, she is a slave after all, but somehow it didn't fit right for her to be like the other slaves, no she was the Queen's slave, and even though she had never had one before she knew she had to have Aerilyn no matter how.

The girl fascinated her, no human had ever held her attention this way and it confused her greatly, she always made sure to leave before the girl woke up, no one would see her slipping in and out of the room, only the smell would linger that Nilsa picked up on. 

She just sat there with her head in her hands observing the girl, Aerilyn was dainty, it wouldn't take much to hurt her, to destroy her, to break her, isn't that what she was suppose to be doing as her master.

She couldn't bring herself to do it, she hadn't even trained the girl yet, the only thing she could feel somewhat happy about was that all of her scars were healing as they should be and soon would be gone.

The next morning, a loud bang woke Aerilyn up "rise and shine human" Nilsa appeared.

Aerilyn facepalmed herself and groaned. "Why so early?" she moaned.

Nilsa proceeded to open the curtains letting all of the light in, Aerilyn lifted her arm up to her face.

Nilsa smirked "are you sure you're not the vampire here" causing the human to giggle.

"Get ready for breakfast, I'll wait here" Nilsa called the maids into clean her room whilst she waited for her. Aerilyn grabbed another dress out of the wardrobe, there wasn't much else for her to wear, the Queen must have a thing for floral dresses.

Today, she picked a red floral dress that a plunge neck leaving her chest quite bare.

They made their way downstairs to breakfast, the routine was good for Aerilyn, it meant she knew what was happening and was less scared.

Nilsa opened all the doors for her, she was rather quiet this morning and hadn't made much conversation, Aerilyn suspected she was stressed about something.

As they entered the room, Aerilyn noticed that the Queen was not there, but General Talc was, he looked up as soon as he saw them enter and huffed.

"Not again, what is she doing here" he groaned.

"Having breakfast as her majesty requested" Nilsa replied curtly.

They both sat down in their usual places next to each other.

"Don't you think there are more important matters than having breakfast with the human, where is her majesty, everyone is arriving tonight and there is much to be done. We don't need a human least of all getting in the way" he spoke.

Nilsa could feel the atmosphere quickly become tense. "I am just following my order sir" her monotonous voice coming through, Aerilyn half smiled at this and he noticed.

"And what do you think is so funny human slut" he insulted her, Aerilyn glared right at him, making him stand up abruptly as if he was going to come over to her.

Nilsa stood up and challenged him, growling to warn him to back off.

They were both silent for a moment, Aerilyn didn't move or make a sound.

The doors opened and Solenne stood there in a beautiful forest green dress, it was definitely her colour, so regal.

She entered the room and noticed the situation very quickly.

"Ah General Talc, the guests will be here soon and there is still much to be done, I need you to over see the guards training this morning to make sure they are prepared and then to check on our guests to make sure they have everything they need" she hadn't looked at Aerilyn yet, the girl could always tell when she was because the hair on her neck would often stand up.

"Yes your majesty, I will go at once" he swiftly left the room which Aerilyn was extremely happy about.

Nilsa and the Queen sat back down, so here she was again, having breakfast with the enemy, but somehow that didn't quite faze her.