Chapter Five

OLYMPIA, WA. September 28 1990.

"Oh, so he's alive!" Aurora states, watching Dave walk through the front door. "I am indeed. Nice observation." He states as he jumps on the couch.

Dave had most obviously spent the last few days at Jennifer's, though didn't bother to call Aurora, which made her somewhat worried.

"I was worried about you." Aurora states, "You haven't called for like three days. For all I know she could be holding you hostage." Dave chuckles, "I'm fine, but I'm glad you care about me." Dave teases, and Aurora rolls her eyes.

"So, I assume it went well with Jennifer." Aurora says, "Oh, it went very well." He states, "Ew." Aurora manages to spit out. "What?" Dave asks, "You made it sound gross." Aurora says, "Intercourse isn't gross." Dave states. "Dave!" Aurora exclaims, "What?" He asks, "I didn't need to know that." She states, "Not when im about to eat lunch, I don't want to lose my appetite." Aurora says. "My bad. I'll keep intercourse chat to a minimum." Dave says, and Aurora rolls her eyes once again.

Aurora takes a bite of her sandwich, before speaking up, "There's a sandwich in the fridge if you want it." She states. "Thanks. You're the best." Dave states as he gets up from the couch and takes the sandwich out of the fridge, he was going to sit down next to Aurora but she stops him. "Wait." She says, pointing her finger up to him, "Have a shower first." She orders. "Why?" Dave asks, "Because who knows what's all over your body right now." Aurora states, Dave groans and puts his sandwich back into the fridge.

As Aurora hears the water running in the shower, she also hears a knock on the door, and Aurora finds Kurt standing on the small porch. "Hey, Aurora." Kurt says, "Hi Kurt. What's up?" She asks. "Could you tell Dave that we have a band practice later? It's at 3:00." Kurt asks, "Can we have it your place though since his kit is set up in there?" He then asks, "Yeah, sure. He's just in the shower. But do you mind if I tag along and listen to what you guys have got?" Aurora asks, "Not at all, it'll be good to get your input actually." Kurt states. "Great, I'll see you later." Aurora says, "Bye." Kurt says.

Aurora closes the door and makes her way back to the table, finishing her lunch and soon enough Dave comes out of the shower, his hair still wet. "You have a band practice here at 3:00 this afternoon." Aurora says as she cleans her plate off in the sink, then drying it with a tea-towel. "Alright, thanks." Dave says as he takes the sandwich out of the fridge and begins eating it.

Aurora places the plate back into the cupboard and sits next to Dave. She looks over to him, and it's now she realises how beautiful he looks. His black hair that is slightly bleach falling down past his shoulders, his dark brown eyes, and his smile. "What are you looking at?" Dave asks as he smiles, "What?" Aurora asks, being snapped out of her trance, "You were staring at me for like thirty seconds." Dave states, "Oh." Aurora says, "I just zoned out." She lies, "Alright." Dave says, not fulling convinced.

Eventually 3:00 rolls around and Kurt comes into Dave and Aurora's apartment. Aurora takes a spot on the couch and Kurt next to her, Dave takes a seat at his drum kit. Apparently Krist is busy today with his wife, Shelli, so it'll just be Kurt and Dave today.

Kurt plugs his amp into the power point in the wall, and shoves the chord into his guitar. "I was just messing around with my guitar earlier and came up with this." Kurt explains, then playing a riff. "It kinda sounds like the song 'Eighties' by The Killing Joke." Aurora admits, "Yeah, I was listening to their record and playing the guitar along with it. I messed up some chords but I made it out to be this." Kurt states. "Do you have any lyrics?" Dave asks from behind his drum kit. "I haven't gotten to that yet." Kurt states. "Dave, can I take your spot for a minute? I have an idea." Aurora states, walking over to the drum kit, and Dave hands her his drum sticks, before moving to the side. "Okay, play the riff." Aurora states, Kurt begins to play and eight seconds later Aurora hits her high tom-tom, floor tom-tom and the second floor tom-tom, before hitting the crash cymbal. Aurora then hits the ride cymbal lightly, tying it in with her bass drum and snare drum.

"How does that sound?" Aurora asks as she hands back the drum sticks to Dave. "That was actually really good." Kurt states as Aurora gets up out of the the stool and moves back to the couch. "Dave can you play that over when I do the riff twice?" Kurt asks and Dave nods.

Aurora is thankful that Dave doesn't seem that annoyed that Aurora had some input on the drumming. She doesn't want him to think that she is out there trying to steal his spot, because she doesn't even want to commit to a band right now, although the idea does appeal to her.

Aurora watches as Kurt and Dave begin to develop the song further, trying different drumming patterns and extending the guitar riff. She finds herself watching Dave the whole time, she can't manage to pull her eyes away from him.

"Aurora?" Kurt asks, "Hmm?" Aurora hums, looking over to him. "I was just asking how this sounds..." Kurt trails off, slightly confused with why she's so interested with Dave.

Kurt plays the riff and then Dave comes in with the drums, they continue to play further into the song, with Dave hitting each cymbal and drum perfectly, and Kurt playing the riff perfectly just as Aurora heard him the first time he played it earlier.

The two finish, "That sounded great!" Aurora exclaims, "Thanks." Kurt says. He glances over to the clock on the wall, and it's almost 5:00, "I'm gonna have to go, Tobi is coming over soon." Kurt states, standing up and unplugging his amp from the power point, before making his way to the door. "Thanks for your help, Aurora." He says as he lets himself out, careful not to hit his guitar and amp on the way out, though it already has a lot of damage from the amount of times he's thrown it around during live performances.

"I'm gonna take a shower." Dave says, "I'm some how already soaked with sweat." He then states, feeling sticky and disgusting. He gets up and puts his drum sticks on the stool, before moving to his room to get clothes then the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

Aurora cringes at the thought of Kurt calling her name several times while she's looking over to Dave, day dreaming. She's so embarrassed with what happened earlier that she's come up with a conclusion, to solve this whole Dave problem she's facing.

Find another man to distract her.