Chapter Forty

SEATTLE -> CALIFORNIA. May 14th 1991.

Finally the boys were in the studio recording, and Aurora got to watch them do it, right in-front if her.

Currently, they are in Sound City Studio's, California, and it's the last day of recording.

Aurora didn't want to join them when they were recording due to not wanting to be a pest to their process, but Dave convinced her to come today.

They just had Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom and Something In The Way and to record.

"Let's just get this over and done with." Kurt says as he entered the room, then pushing open the other door which lead to where they record there songs — Krist following him.

Dave sighs before leading Aurora to a man.

"Aurora, this is Butch Vig." Dave says, "Our producer."

"Hi, nice to meet you." Aurora spoke sweetly, smiling up to the young man, holding her hand out for him to shake.

"Nice to meet you too." He says, shaking her hand softly, before directing his attention to the boys workspace.

"Let's smash out those songs today boys." He says into the microphone, sitting down in his seat.

Aurora looked back to Dave, and he smiled down to her.

"Just sit on the couch here, and we'll be back out in no time." He says, leading her to the brown leather couch, kissing her cheek softly before running out of the door to join Kurt and Krist in the other room, beyond the window.

Kurt wanted to record these songs as soon as possibly and get it over and done with, because he has spent so much time working on this album he's now completely burnt out and just done with the whole process.

"So you're Dave's girlfriend?" Butch asks, spinning in his chair to face Aurora.

"Yeah." She says with a smile.

"He talks about you all the time, you know. All I heard was... 'My girlfriend is coming here in a few days, Butch. I cant wait for you to meet her' or 'I miss Aurora.'" He explains, and Aurora smiled.

"Don't get me wrong, it was sweet, but man o' man." Butch says, sighing.

Aurora laughed lightly.

Suddenly, Kurt's voice was heard through a speaker, startling Aurora slightly.

"Let's go Butch." He says, and Butch spun in his chair, giving a thumbs up to the boys as he fiddled with some settings on his board.

Aurora looked past Kurt and saw Dave spinning his drum sticks. He looked over to her, and smiled to her warmly. She smiled back to him, her stomach fill of little butterflies.

Kurt instantly directed Dave's attention back to him, and they began to play, instantly kicking into 'In Bloom' — Kurt strumming his guitar and Dave smashing his drum kit in the gaps.

"Sell the kids for food
Weather changes mood
Spring is here again
Reproductive glands"

The group launched into the chorus, Dave smashing his snare and then Kurt tapping his pedal, making the guitar sound much heavier. Krist plucked at his bass quickly, sticking his tongue out in concentration.

Eventually the song ended, and all three of them came back into the room where Butch works his magic — Dave instantly sitting next to Aurora and placing an arm around her shoulder as they listened through the song.

"I think it sounds great." Aurora says truthfully as the song ended.

Kurt stood their for a moment, biting his nails slightly.