Chapter Twenty-Seven

VIRGINIA, WA. December 25 1990.

Christmas Day has finally arrived in the Grohl household.

Aurora slowly awakes, sunlight pouring through the window, making Aurora adjust her eyes to the bright light. Eventually, Aurora looks over to Dave, and she smiles as she watches Dave's eyes slowly flutter open.

"Merry Christmas ya filthy animal." Aurora says with a smirk, quoting the movie that they had previously seen together at the drive in — Home Alone.

"Merry Christmas." Dave says as he chuckles at Aurora's comment, before kissing her lips softly.

Dave pulls Aurora closer to him, holding her in his arms before there are three loud and sudden knocks.

"Good Morning! Wake up love birds!" Lisa says, "Lisa..." Virginia says sternly, "What?" Lisa asks with a chuckle.

"I think that's our cue to get up." Aurora states, and Dave nods knowingly.

Aurora pulls herself out of bed, despite wanting to be in Dave's embrace for a little while longer. She opens the door and Dave all of a sudden races down the hallway to the Christmas tree, where Lisa and Virginia already sit waiting.

"Come on you slow poke!" Dave jokes, watching as Aurora walks over to the group tiredly, not fully woken up yet.

Virginia hands Aurora a cup of coffee, knowing that she'll need it to power through the day.

"Ginny, I think you should open your presents first." Aurora says, instantly earning a groan from both Lisa and Dave who are like little children, eager to see what their present are.

"I think that's a good idea." Virginia says as she smiles warmly at Aurora.

Virginia sits up from her chair, gathering her presents from under the tree before sitting back down with a pile of wrapped goodies in her lap, except for Aurora's present for her as it's too big.

"Let's start with Dave's." Virginia says, beginning to unwrap the present. "How do you know that I've given it to you?" Dave asks, confused. "The messy handwriting." Virginia says, holding up the present for Dave to see.

"MoMmA" is written in both all caps and lower caps, as-well as it wiggly writing.

"That's not messy." Dave states, sitting back against the bottom of the chair, this comment making Aurora chuckle, because the handwriting is most obviously messy.

Virginia tears open the presents, and she smiles as she holds up the assortment of books from various people.

She then opens the next present from Dave which is some money in an envelope. Virginia looks over to Dave, slightly annoyed that he's giving her money despite how many times she has tried to stop him from doing so, but then her expression softens.

"Thank you David." Virginia says, holding her arms out for Dave to hug her, and he walks over to her and embraces her in a warm hug.

Virginia then tears open the next present, knowing that it's from Lisa as it says it's from her favourite child, and that's how Lisa always addresses herself to her mother.