Chapter Twenty-Six

VIRGINIA, WA. December 24 1990.

It's just less than 24 hours before Christmas Day, and Aurora is currently dancing in the kitchen with Virginia, helping her make food for tomorrow.

The record player blasts from the living room, some funky music from the 70s playing through the speakers.

Virginia laughs as Aurora twirls her around, making her feel like the centre of the spotlight.

"Go Ginny! Go Ginny!" Aurora says, getting used to the nickname Virginia has told her again and again to use.

Virginia continues to laugh as she does her own little dance, before bringing the wooden spoon to her mouth like a microphone, singing the lyrics of the song.

Aurora got the pleasure of meeting Dave's childhood friends yesterday as they are back with their families for Christmas. She felt as if it was a very special moment watching Dave reunite with his old friends, and luckily enough they had girlfriends, so Aurora could chat it up with them, the two being very sweet young ladies.

"What's this?" Dave asks as he walks through the front door, returning from chatting it up with one of his neighbours.

"Ginny and I are just making some food for tomorrow." Aurora chuckles, watching Virginia twirl around.

Dave walks over to the two ladies, before sniffing the cookies that are currently being baked in the oven.

"Mmm" Dave let's out as he gets a whiff of the cookies.

He then offers his hand to Aurora, which she takes confusingly. Dave spins her around in circles along to the music, before pulling her close to him.

Dave looks into Aurora's eyes for a moment, before pulling her into a kiss, which Aurora leans into lovingly, before stepping away as she hears the oven ding.

Aurora walks over to the oven, taking the cookies out with a tea towel on her hands to avoid getting burnt. Dave then sneakily takes a cookie and bites into it.

"Hey!" Aurora says, and Virginia chuckles as she watches Dave run off down the hall, presumably to annoy his sister, Lisa.

After Aurora and Virginia had finished making all the sweets and food for tomorrow, they packed it all into the fridge leaving next to no space.

"I think that this hard work deserves a nap." Virginia says after wiping down the countertop. "Oh I agree." Aurora says, yawning, before her face lights up at the sight of Dave entering the room.

"Aurora, care to accompany me on a little adventure?" Dave asks happily as he walks over to Aurora. "Of course." Aurora replies, the tiredness from the constant baking and cooking suddenly disappearing for the time being.

"I'll see you later, Ginny." Aurora says as she pulls the leather jacket Dave had gifted her over her small body. "Have fun, stay safe." Virginia says as she began to walk down the hallway.

Aurora pulls on her coat, knowing she'll get cold in the winter air, before following Dave out the front door and onto the street, where he grabs her hand and holds it in his as they walk.

"Where are we going?" Aurora asks, curios as to where he's leading her. "I'll tell you when we're there." Dave says, a smirk across his face. "Ha-ha." Aurora says sarcastically.

After a long, silent walk Dave comes to a stop, and Aurora gazes out at the open field ahead of her.

"I used to come here a bit as a kid, and just run." Dave states, looking out at the grassy fields that seemingly go on forever as the snowy air clouds their visions. "Run away from my problems." Dave explains as Aurora is still taken aback by the scenery, and how it looks like the fields go on for an eternity, non-stop running.

"Or just sit and think." Dave states, guiding Aurora over to a light blue park bench. Aurora chuckles as she sits down beside him.

"I really like it here." Aurora admits, still looking around the area, astonished by how beautiful it is here. Aurora is starting to think that this area is better than Seattle.

"It's not much, but it's home." Dave says, a warm smile visible on his face.

Aurora rests her head on Dave's shoulder as he pulls her close to him.

"Can we stay here forever?" Aurora asks, looking up to him. "I wish we could." Dave says, chuckling as he looks down to her.

Aurora nuzzles her head into Dave's chest, and he runs his fingers through her hair soothingly, managing not to get his fingers stuck in the knots that scatters Aurora's un-brushed hair.

Aurora smiles as she feels Dave's chest rise and fall slowly as he breaths in and out. Aurora begins to think about this trip, thankful at how welcoming Lisa and Virginia has been to Aurora, and how much appreciation and love Dave has shown her.

Love.

Aurora thinks about that word for a few moments, really wanting to express her love to Dave, just tell him and not worry about his answer.

Oh if only you knew how much I love you. Aurora thinks to herself as she looks out onto the grassy fields, covered with snow.

"What?" Dave asks Aurora unexpectedly.

Aurora looks up to Dave, seeing a puzzled look on his face.

"What's happened?" Aurora asks, obviously confused.

"You just said, 'If only you knew how much I love you.'" Dave reveals, and Aurora swallows the lump in her throat, moving back into her seat, off from Dave.

"I said that aloud?" Aurora asks for clarification, and Dave nods.

"S- So I did." Aurora states, accepting the fact that she did indeed just confess how she loves Dave.

There was a silence as Dave looked out into the distance and Aurora stared at the ground, now embarrassed that she just spilt her guts in-front of him, and he doesn't even feel the same way for her.

Aurora thought that he would've loved her, after all, he had done so much for her, and if that isn't love, what is?

Snow began to slowly fall from the sky, giving Aurora more reason to just leave despite the growing tension between her and Dave.

Aurora was about to stand up and walk away, but Dave speaks up, startling her slightly.

"I love you too." Dave says finally, smiling over to her.

Aurora sits back into the chair, her eyes still on Dave, managing to smile back to him.

Dave pulls Aurora into a kiss as the snow drops onto them, making the moment even more romantic than it currently is.

Aurora pulls away from Dave and rests her forehead against his.

"I love you." Aurora says once again.

"I love you." Dave states, emphasising the 'you'.

Aurora chuckles, before standing up, dragging Dave up with her.

Aurora begins to run into the fields, Dave then chasing after her as the sun begins to set while snow falls from the sky.