Chapter Thirty-Eight

OLYMPIA, WA. February 20th 1991.

"How old is he?" Aurora asks, holding the cake in a white box in one hand as she closed her car door.

"Twenty four." Dave answers, instantly grabbing Aurora's hand as they began to walk up the all too familiar brown steps.

Aurora took a deep breath and knocked on the front door with '1' imprinted on it.

Slowly the door opened and there stood a little blonde haired man in his red and black flannel.

"Happy birthday!" Aurora and Dave yell out, startling Kurt as he's just gotten up.

A smile managed to creep across Kurt's face as he rubbed his eyes.

"Oh come on, bring it in, Cobi." Aurora says, letting go of Dave's hand and wrapping his arm around Kurt, giving him a tight squeeze as they embraced.

Aurora then held out a box for Kurt, and he smiled as he opened the lid, revealing a chocolate covered cake.

"My favourite." Kurt says, a smile still plastered on his face.

Kurt invited Dave and Aurora inside where they sat on his couch.

"I hope you're ready for some drinks later." Aurora says, smiling over to Kurt as he cut three slices of cake and placed them on a plate.

"Oh, I hope you guys don't mind but I actually can't." Kurt said, handing Aurora and Dave their slices.

Aurora furrows her eyebrows.

"Why's that?" She asks him.

"I'm going on a date." Kurt says, smiling as he took his plate off the counter, already digging into his piece of cake.

"Really?" Dave asks, surprised.

"On your birthday?" Aurora asks, and Kurt nods.

"Her name is Courtney and she's in a band called Hole." Kurt begins to explain, "she's eccentric, beautiful, loud, out-there but just... there's something about her."

Aurora smiles as she watches him talk so passionately about this woman, happy to see that he's moved on.

"We'll have to meet her someday." Dave suggested, looking over to Aurora, and she nodded, agreeing with him.

"Maybe in a few months." Kurt states, "She's not like other girls. You may find it... difficult to get along with her." He adds.

Aurora nods, continuing to eat her cake.

She wonders if this 'Courtney' will do good for Kurt, because she doesn't want to see him get hurt. He's quiet and fragile and Courtney seems like the complete opposite of him.

Aurora and Dave hang around Kurt's for a little longer until they say their goodbyes, letting him get ready for his date.

As they drive back to Seattle, Aurora continues to wonder about Kurt and Courtney. Wondering if they'll last for long or if it'll just be a fling.

"Do you think that this Courtney person will be good for Kurt?" Aurora asks, looking over to Dave.

"He says she's really out there," Dave recalls, "That's like the complete opposite of him."

"I hope he gets treated right." Aurora says, frowning at the thought of Kurt getting treated poorly.