Chapter Thirty-Four

SEATTLE, WA. February 1st, 1991.

Aurora walks into Mountain Records for the first time in what feels like forever.

She had taken a week and a bit off, to spend more time with Dave and also because the drives to and from Olympia was exhausting, though luckily enough her boss, Alex, was very understanding and let her have that time off.

Aurora pushes open the record store door and loud music fills through her ears from the several speakers in the store.

"I'm walking on sunshine, woah!
And don't it feel good."

The catchy beat blasts through the speakers, and Aurora laughs as she sees a younger employee dancing around the store.

"Hey, Katarina." Aurora yells over the music, smiling at the sixteen year old.

Katarina spins around to face Aurora, and her face turns all red as she turns the volume down.

"Oh, H-Hi Aurora." She replies awkwardly, obviously embarrassed.

"I can see you're in the Friday morning feels." Aurora states as she takes her bag off and chucks it behind the counter.

Katarina chuckles, "Oh yeah, it's a long weekend!" She says happily.

"Well in that case..." Aurora says as she walks to the sound system behind the counter, before turning up the song as loud as it can go.

"Oh, yeah, now I'm walking on sunshine, woah!
I'm walking on sunshine, woah!
And don't it feel good."

Aurora and Katarina jump around, singing the lyrics of the song at the top of their lungs, until the front door is thrown open with such an incredible force that it brings the attention of the two girls.

Aurora watches as Alex stands in the doorway, not moving an inch.

Katarina turns the volume down, prompting Alex to speak up.

"Dad's gone." Alex states, staring at ground.

"Wha-What do you mean gone?" Aurora questions.

"He's dead." Alex answers.

Aurora gulps, unable of what to say.

"Oh, I'm walking on sunshine, woah!
I'm walking on sunshine, woah!
I'm walking on sunshine, woah!"

Katrina and The Waves can be barely heard in the background as the room filled with silence after what Alex revealed.

Aurora steps back and flicks the tone arm of the record player up, the room now being dead quiet.

"I-I'm so sorry." Aurora finally speaks up, moving to Alex and giving him a hug.

Aurora was very fond of Alex's father, after all he had praised her for her good taste in music and given her this job.

"I don't think I can run the store anymore." Alex states, causing Aurora to furrow her eyebrows.

"What? Why?" Aurora asks him.

"This all reminds me too much of Dad." Alex states, "Plus, he always wanted me to get out and do something with my life. So, leaving this place in the dust is the best thing I can do for myself."

"It'll be like a wake up call." Alex then adds.

"You can't just ditch this place." Aurora exclaims, obviously shocked with the information that Alex has just given her.

"If you sell it then it'll just be turned into some crappy fast food restaurant, or worse, some business building." Aurora states.

"Which is why I'm leaving this place in the hands of you." Alex states, holding out a singular key to Aurora.