Chapter Twenty-Three

VIRGINIA, WA. December 20 1990.

"Am I meant to be this nervous?" Aurora asks Dave as they walk along the small pathway leading to the house, the cool, snowy air making Aurora shiver. "There's nothing to worry about, it's gonna be fine." Dave reassures, pulling her closer to him, hugging her side.

Aurora has spent the last few weeks working at the record shop, thinking about other bigger jobs she could pursue, while Dave has band practices at Tacoma, so then they can be together when they drive there and back.

Everything seems fine between Aurora and Kurt, though Aurora can still sense that he's a little sad.

Through these past two weeks, something has been pressuring Aurora, and that's if she should tell Dave that she loves him, and if so, when?

She's not even sure that he loves her back, and this is something that worries her.

As they reach the front door, Aurora takes deep breaths, clutching the bottle of wine in her hand, and the bouquet of flowers in the other hand tightly, as if that'll change how nervous she is feeling.

The door slowly opens, revealing Virginia, Dave's mother.

"Aurora, it is so nice to finally meet you." Virginia says, instantly pulling her into a hug. "It's nice to meet you too, Miss Grohl." Aurora states as they pull away, "Oh dear, call me Virginia, or even Ginny for that matter." Virginia states, and Aurora smiles.

Virginia glances at her boy, "Oh David, how I've missed you." She states, pulling him into a hug, but then pulling away to look at him once again. "You've grown!" Virginia states as she examines him. "Just a bit older." Dave states as he rubs the back of his neck, chuckling.

"Quickly, come inside. It's freezing out here." Virginia states, and Dave puts his hand on Aurora's back, leading her forward into the house.

"I have these for you." Aurora says, handing Virginia the bottle of wine and flowers. "Oh, thank you dear." She says, walking through to the kitchen.

Aurora and Dave pull off their coats, hanging them up on the stand, before they move into the kitchen.

"David, why don't you give Aurora a little tour of the house, maybe even of the neighbourhood." Virginia suggests as she places the flowers in a vase. "Lisa will be here soon and then we can begin with preparing dinner." She then states. "You sure you don't need a hand now?" Aurora asks as she watches Virginia pull out a bowl from the cupboard. "No, I'm quite fine. You two go enjoy yourselves." Virginia states, and Aurora turns to Dave.

"I'll give you a tour then." Dave says with a smile.

They walk through the house, Dave showing Aurora the small kitchen, tiny lounge room, Lisa's childhood bedroom, the bathroom, Virginia's room and eventually, the place that Aurora was looking most forward to — Dave's childhood bedroom.

Dave opens the door, Aurora examining the room. Posters of bands are scattered across the walls and roof. His bed is cramped in the corner, a little box with all his records stashed beside his bedside table, his closet is on Aurora's right, and then there's a dresser at the end of the bed. There are records and records of Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Germs, plus plenty of other rock and punk rock bands. It's a really small space, but he somehow managed to cramp all of his cherished belongings into the area.

"I wish I had a bedroom like this." Aurora states, continuing to look around and be amazed by the little details.

"Oh, what's this?" She asks Dave, walking over to a framed picture of him and some of his friends. Aurora picks up the framed photograph, noticing Dave's face and tiny figure, he must've been around ten years old.