Chapter Twenty-Four

VIRGINIA, WA. December 21 1990.

4 days till Christmas, and although Aurora is excited, she is incredibly nervous to spend it with Dave and is family, because they may have traditions much different compared to what Aurora grew up with.

Currently, Aurora and Dave are sitting in Lisa's car that they borrowed for the day, looking out into the large shopping centre decorated in festive decorations ahead of them.

"So she likes books and gardening?" Aurora asks Dave, the two of them sitting in Lisa's car, "Classic old people stuff." Dave states. "Your Mom is not that old." Aurora states, and Dave simple chuckles.

"What about Lisa?" Aurora asks, "Well, she's into the clothing thing as you said, but she's always expressed her love for music." Dave explains, "Anything specific?" Aurora asks.

Dave thinks for a moment, before speaking up, "She loves bass guitars, adores them." Dave reveals, "Though, she never actual got around to getting one." He then states.

"I don't know if I have enough money to buy a bass guitar and amp for her." Aurora says, disappointed.

Despite Aurora getting regular shifts at Mountain Records, it's not enough to buy a bass guitar and amp for Lisa, plus a gift for Virginia. Not to mention Aurora also has to pay off a gift she has for Dave back home, though she doubts she'll be able to give it as a Christmas present, so she's leaning towards it being a birthday present.

Luckily enough, Aurora has brought some small gifts for Dave over here as she knows she won't be going back before Christmas Day.

Aurora hopes that she does the whole "gift giving" thing right, making Lisa and Virginia satisfied, but most importantly Dave, because she cares so much of his opinion, wanting to please him in any way possible, make him happy.

"Maybe it could be a present from the both of us, a joint kind of gift?" Dave suggests, Aurora thinks about that idea for a moment, "I don't know..." Aurora trails off. Aurora wishes that she could just give Lisa the gift herself, she doesn't want Dave's help, she doesn't deserve it.

"Aurora, I don't mind it being a shared kind of present, if anything it'll make things easier for the both of us." Dave says, "We'll half the price, I pay half, you pay half." Dave states. "Okay, if you insist." Aurora states, opening her car door and stepping out.

"Lucky that there's both a music store, book store and gardening store in this complex." Dave states as the walk through the large doors of the shopping centre.

Aurora and Dave walk hand in hand to the first store they see — Gardening Warehouse — where plants decorate the walls and pots are scattered across the floors, though still leaving enough space for customers to walk through the store.

Dave points to different assortments and little pots, leading Aurora around the store, where they both contemplate what to get Virginia.

Overall, Aurora picks out a medium sized pot holder, that stores around 15 pots along the stand. Dave decides the he'll get Virginia's gift from the book store, even though he already has something sorted out for her.

Aurora and Dave quickly put the pot holder in the boot of the car, then going into the book store, where Dave selects a few autobiographies from various famous celebrities which Virginia somewhat adores, also getting one about gardening.

Aurora quickly goes into the store next door where she finds wrapping paper, scissors and sticky tape. She buys them before going back to join Dave at the car, where they drop off more items, before making their last trip into the store.

Aurora and Dave walk into Music Delights, where one bass guitar instantly stands out to the two of them, screaming "Buy me!"

The two look at each other, exchanging a look, before speed walking through the store to a certain bass guitar.

Aurora runs her finger over the smooth surface, examining the orange bass guitar. It's not an ugly orange either, it's a lovely sunset orange.

"It's her favourite colour too." Dave says,  gazing at the fender guitar with its strings spiralling out over the end, not being clipped yet.

Aurora smiles, "I think this is the one." Aurora states. "The cost of it will decide." Dave states, he then flips over the price tag, revealing the cost of the bass guitar.

"That is a bargain." Aurora states, her eyes reading over the numbers a second time, as if she doesn't quite believe the price of the bass guitar herself. "Probably because it is second hand." Dave says, examining the guitar some more, "But it is in mint condition." He then states.

"Two hundred seems too good to be true." Aurora states, still gazing at the orange fender. "It's meant to be." Dave says, smiling over to Aurora. "Let's look for an amp." He then says, taking Aurora's hand in his once again, before going down an isle labeled "Amps"

"This ones good, and it's a reasonable price." Aurora states, looking at the bass amps settings, then looking towards Dave. He looks down at the amp, examining each of its features before giving a nod of approval.

"I'll grab the amp if you can get the bass guitar?" Dave asks, obviously getting the heavier object. "Alright." Dave says, smiling as she walks to the bass guitar.

Aurora finds the bass in its stand, and she picks it up, then seeing a note strapped to the stand, and she reads along the large letters,

STAND COMES WITH BASS GUITAR

Aurora smiles and picks up the stand in her left hand, the bass guitar being firmly held in her right hand. She finds dave at the counter, joining him as they patiently wait for the cashier to come into view, and eventually she does.

"The total comes to three hundred dollars." The cashier says, look up to Aurora and Dave. Aurora hands the cashier one hundred and fifty dollars, Dave then handing the same amount to her.

A receipt is printed out, "Have a nice day, Merry Christmas." The cashier says as she slides the receipt across the counter.

Dave and Aurora both say "Thank you." Before walking out of the music store, and eventually the shopping centre. Though as they leave, a certain guitar catches Aurora's eyes, and she takes a mental note to come back here as soon as possible.

The two make it to the car, carefully placing the previously purchased items into the car, then beginning their small journey back to Virginia's house.

Luckily enough, Virginia is having lunch with some friends from down the street at a café, and Lisa catching up with some of her old childhood friends a few streets from the house, and they both won't be back for a few hours, leaving Aurora and Dave plenty of enough time to wrap the gifts up, label them, and place them under the Christmas tree which takes up most of the living room.

Aurora and Dave make it back to the house minutes later, taking the presents in one by one, before sitting on the floor and begging to wrap.

"Just imagine, this will be us again in a year, on the floor wrapping presents." Aurora states as she folds a corner over the pot plant stand box. Dave smiles, "I can't wait." He says.

Dave places his hand over Aurora's before leaning over to her and kissing her lips passionately, though Aurora pulls away.

"We have wrapping to do." Aurora says, placing her finger on Dave's moist lips, and he furrows his eyebrows in disappointment. "After, I promise." Aurora says, and Dave smiles at her cheekily.