Chapter Twenty-One

SEATTLE, WA. November 27 1990.

"Aurora, I'm so glad you picked up. I was beginning to think you weren't." Jess states, "Yeah, I was just in the shower." Aurora says, still wringing her hair out.

"Is Dave home?" Jess then asks, "No. He's at the store, getting some groceries." Aurora answers.

"Okay well, the reason I didn't show up to the gig the other night was because I saw my parents earlier than expected." Jess states, "They basically forced me to the house, and I know that you're annoyed that I didn't come, but I sorted everything out with my parents, and I'm driving back to Olympia today to get my things and move back to Seattle." Jess then reveals. "What?" Aurora asks in disbelief, "I know!" Jess says excitingly.

"W-What about your job?" Aurora asks, "My parents talked to a Seattle newspaper company, turns out they need a new writer for some columns." Jess explains, the excitement clear in the tone of her voice. "That's great, Jess." Aurora says, happy that her best friend has sorted out the conflict with her parents.

"I'm sorry I didn't come." Jess finally says, "It's okay, I'm glad you sorted everything out with your parents." Aurora states.

"Are we good?" Jess asks, "Of course we are! Can't stay mad at my best friend forever." Aurora states, "Thank God! I didn't want to make new friends here anyway." Jess states, and the two laugh together.

"Listen, I've got to go. But catch up later!" Jess says, "Alright, bye." Aurora says, hanging the phone up on the wall.

Aurora goes back into the bedroom, gathering some clothes and getting pulling her towel off, where she gets dressed.

Just as Aurora were about to sit down on the couch and read a magazine Dave had picked up for her a few days ago, there were soft knocks at the door.

Aurora walks over to the door, opening it.

"Kurt?" Aurora asks, "Aurora, I- Um-" Kurt stutters. He takes a deep breath, "Hi." He finally spits out.

"What are you doing here-" Aurora asks, though she's cut off by Kurt moving forward and wrapping his arms around Aurora, taking her by surprise.

Kurt had hugged her, not the other way around.

"Are you okay?" Aurora asks as he moves away, "I need to talk to you." Kurt says, his voice slightly shaky.

"Come in." Aurora says, "Let's go to the balcony where there's fresh air."

She closes the door and Kurt follows Aurora through the apartment, examining the place as he's never been here before, though when they walk through the bedroom, he tenses up.

Aurora slides open the glass door, stepping outside, sitting on the far seat, Kurt taking the spot next to her.

"What's up?" Aurora asks, looking over to him.

Kurt swallows the lump in his throat, "This is hurting me." He states. Aurora furrows her eyebrows, "What's hurting you?"

Kurt takes another deep breath, "Aurora, I don't see you anymore, and when I do, you're with him." Kurt states, refusing to make eye-contact with Aurora.

"What are you trying to say, Kurt?" Aurora asks, keeping her eyes trained on him. "I-It pains me to never see you, but then when I do finally see you, I'm still hurting, because you're with him, and- and..."Kurt sighs, "Aurora, how am I supposed to just forget my feelings towards you now that you're with someone else, it doesn't work like that." He states.

Aurora's throat runs dry as she tries to think of a response, "Kurt, you're one of my greatest friends." Aurora begins, "But I can't just leave him, I can't do that just because of someone else who can't stand seeing us together." She then states.

Kurt sighs, "God, what do you want me to do Kurt?" Aurora asks, slightly annoyed at the fact that she can't please him.

"I don't want you to do anything, you can't do anything." Kurt states, "I'll just have to deal with it." He says, standing up, beginning to make his way out.

Aurora looks up to him, "Kurt?" She asks, and he turns back, facing her.

"I'm sorry." Aurora says, "It's not your fault." Kurt states, and he simply just turns around and walks through the apartment, letting himself out the front door.

Aurora leans back in her chair, thinking over the last five minutes.

After one problem is solved, another arises.

Of course Aurora feels bad for Kurt, but it's not like she can do anything about it.

She's not going to just break up with Dave all because Kurt doesn't like them being together due to how he feels towards Aurora.

After all, Aurora wouldn't even consider dating Kurt, she doesn't see him in that way. She sees him as her best friend, nothing more.

Aurora hopes that Kurt can figure out a loophole, a way out of feeling so horrible whenever he sees Aurora and Dave together.

Perhaps he might me a lady?

Someone he will consider one day better than Aurora, though deep down, he knows no-one is better than her.

Aurora hears the front door open, and she stands up from her seat, walking through the apartment to Dave, where she embraces him in a much needed hug.

"You okay?" Dave asks her, sensing that something isn't right.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Aurora lies, kissing his cheek then helping him with the groceries, loading them into the cupboard and fridge.

Dave knows that she's lying, but he also knows better than to ask her about it straight away. He'll ask her tomorrow, in a few days perhaps?

But judging that he saw Kurt leave the apartment in a baffled state, he assumes it has something to do with him.