CHAPTER THIRTEEN

STRANDED AT THE GILMORE'S

IT had been a tense affair at the Gilmore Grandparents home since the twins arrival, something that only intensified as Richard made it home from work. However, Hayden had Rory by her side as the pair sat at the dining table but whilst her sister worked feverishly on their homework assignments, Hayden couldn't help but think of the dinners she'd missed at that very table after her outburst. How she broke, how she stormed from the house and never looked back. She'd only seen her grandparents twice since then. At their version of a birthday party and Lorelai's and both times, she'd had as little interaction as possible.

"--Well, I just don't understand why you waited so late to call." Hayden was snapped out of her thoughts by the sound of her Grandmother's clipped tone as she paced in the foyer, phone to her ear "Are you sure?... Fine... All right, yes, goodbye." She hung up with a defeated sigh "Well, I don't know what I'm going to do now."

Richard didn't look up from his book "What's the problem, Emily?"

"The problem is that apparently Florence cannot get here because of the storm."

"Florence?"

Emily held back an eye roll at her husbands usual knack for forgetting their own staff "Our cook."

"Ah." He finally bookmarked his page and looked to her "Well, we'll just have to go out then."

"Oh, please Richard, pay attention." Emily was beside herself "We can't go out. It's miserable out there."

He paused "Well, we'll figure something out then."

"What?" She snapped "What will we figure out?"

"Well, I don't know but..."

Emily turned away upset "I hate the damn snow."

"Emily, calm down."

"This is a serious problem!" Emily almost screeched "These Friday dinners are the only proper food that Rory eats all week. God only knows what garbage Hayden's been eating without them."

Hayden frowned indignantly at that. Luke fed her on a Friday now during her extra shift and he always made sure it was healthy since her mother wasn't around to protest and switched her coffee for water.

Richard looked to the twins in dining room "Girls, are you in any way malnourished or in need of some international relief organization to recruit a celebrity to raise money on your account?"