CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

KING AND QUEEN OF CHILTON (AND HEARTACHE)

______☕______

HAYDEN wasn't sure which part of her group for the government class project was, Paris taking charge or the fact that Tristan was in the desk opposite her. She could feel his stare drifting to the side of her face as the Gellar girl ranted along in the background, but Hayden couldn't focus on her voice, not as her heart pounded inside her chest. But she was thankful for Madeline and Louise who sat on either side of her making flirty eyes at the two other boys in their group, Landon and Oliver while Rory sat between Paris and Tristan, taking dutiful notes.

"—I think that the basic structure of the Elizabethan government is relatively sound. The division of power between the monarchy, the privy council and the parliament all seem to work." Paris looked between them eyebrow raised "Agreed?"

"Agreed." Madeline nodded with an innocent smile, tearing her eyes away from Oliver.

Louise retained her flirtatious smirk as she looked from Landon to her friend "Ditto."

Paris rolled her eyes knowingly "Okay, so in establishing our own government, I think duplicating a similar structure would be good, with a few alterations. Queen Elizabeth chose to remain unwed. She took on the burden of leadership all by herself at a time when possibly marrying the Prince of France or the King of Spain would solidify her thrown while expanding her empire. And though it obviously worked for her, and the concept of a woman ruling without man is certainly politically correct these days, I think we need to take a different tact. I think we need to devise a nation with a truly solidified royal alliance..."

Madeline lowered her voice as she leant closer to Hayden "She does know this is a make believe government right?"

"You ask her, I'm afraid." Louise scoffed quietly.

"—So in addition to the different political branches, we'll also need a King and Queen. Hayden, Tristan," Paris looked between the ex-couple as Hayden's gaze finally snapped up "what about you?"