CHAPTER TWENTY

DOUBLE DATE

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

DOUBLE DATE

WHILST homework was the usual bane of her existence (when Paris wasn't around to take that title), Hayden found listening to Rory and Lane in the living-room as she attempted to work on her calculus assignment was far more frustrating. Her mother sat across the kitchen table from her, fighting the urge to rush into her oldest daughter and turn off the radio but she didn't want to be the uncool mom hers always was. But Hayden didn't care about the music, or how loud it was. It was the giggling and whispered conversations shared between best friends. She wanted that.

Sure, she and Lane were friends too but they just hadn't bonded in a way Lane and Rory had. Hayden put that down to her wide social circle in Stars Hollow, but none of those friendship had any real value. None of them were really her friend. In fact, she hadn't spoken to any of them other than a passing greeting in the streets since transferring to Chilton and if she was honest she didn't miss them at all. And whilst she had Madeline and Louise, the pair were each other's best friend. A position Rory had always held in her life and vice versa, but it was different being born into the role. Hayden wanted a best friend like Lane, like Madeline and Louise had. Someone who wanted to be there by choice.

"I can't, it's too much." Lorelai scoffed as she stood from her own homework for her business course and stormed into the living room "Hey. I'm studying in there... I have like 6,000 pages of case studies to memorize and this whole big test on the Wal-Mart phenomena coming up on Friday and because I have a life and a job and business school's not the only thing I have to concentrate on I'm behind, and I'll probably fail and then that little 18 year old annoying knat who sits behind me will get another A' and make that 'I'm smart you're dumb' fact to me for the rest of the week and I'll be very upset and will possibly cry."

"The music's too loud." Rory realised.

"Yes."

Rory smiled as she nodded, turning it down "Got it."

"Thank you." Lorelai was relieved as she headed back to the kitchen, slumping back into her seat. But with the music low, Hayden could hear her sisters conversation loud and clear.

"—So anyhow, I was wondering if you could talk to Dean about maybe talking to Todd about me and then maybe you could ask Dean to ask him out— for me."

Rory snorted "Good, cause I don't think Dean would want to go out with Todd. Might screw up their friendship. But uh, you want me to set you up with Todd?"

"Yes p, and I was thinking that you and Dean could come out with us so that it's not that big of a deal."

Hayden slumped at the thought. She thought she and Rory could've shared their first double date together. Granted Dean and Tristan didn't exactly like each other but she had a naive dream.