CHAPTER SIX

KILL ME NOW

KILL ME NOW

DANCE was something Hayden took to like a duck to water, ever since she first stepped into Miss. Patty's studio, she knew it's where she belonged. And when she moved, everything else disappeared. Her doubts, her insecurities, it was just her and the music. Something that came in handy as she finished off her audition for the Chilton Varisty Dance team.

As she spun to a stop, Hayden refocused on the music as it ended, heart racing as she took slow and steady breaths, feeling all eyes on her. She watched as Zuri the team captain surveyed her for a moment before pushing away from the piano and making her way over "Not bad, New Girl." Hayden's shoulders slumped and the older girl smiled, her grin bright against her umber skin "There's a competition next week and you're up."

Hayden's eyes widened "You mean—?"

Zuri nodded with a smile "Welcome to the team."
☕️

THE gift of their Chilton tuition came with a price: Friday night dinners in Hartford, something Lorelai found particularly awkward as they sat in her childhood home, around the very table she'd once broken the news of her pregnancy at. Richard wiped at his mouth with a napkin "Dinner was lovely, Emily."

"Mira does make a perfect cassoulet."

Lorelai frowned as she sat down her wine glass "Who's Mira?"

"Our cook."

Hayden and Rory shared a glance as their mother shook her head across from them "I thought the cook was Heidi."

"Oh, no, we let Heidi go months ago. She had a problem closing things." Emily sighed "The door, the refrigerator—"

"The liquor bottle." Richard interjected making the three snicker.

Emily sent her husband an unimpressed stare before shaking her counting out on her fingers "Then it was Trina, then Sophia."

Richard perked up "Oh, I liked Sophia."

"You did not." Emily scoffed.

He frowned "I didn't?"

"She was the one who sang."

"That's right." Richard snapped his fingers before glancing to the amused twins "Terrible woman."

Emily rolled her eyes "And after Sophia we had Anton."

"That's right." Richard spoke up "Anton was the one that I liked."