CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

THE BRACEBRIDGE DINNER

______☕️______

LIKE they did every year, the Gilmore girls worked on their snowmen for Stars Hollow's annual Winter Festival snowman contest. Lorelai took a step back after finishing off her final touches to the face of their snow-woman version of Björk "How do you like that mouth?"

The twins paused in their own work, Rory smoothing out the shoulders as Hayden carved details into the shoes and moved to have a look at the wonky black piece of plastic their mother has used for a mouth. Rory hesitated "Um, it's not very mouthlike."

"Oh, I think it works." Lorelai argued.

"It's tilted to the side." Hayden pointed out with a raised eyebrow.

Their mother glanced to it "Yeah, no, it was intentional. It gives her a unique expression."

Rory scoffed "Like she had a stroke?"

"Fine," Lorelai grumbled, grabbing the red lips from her basket of props "I'll just use the Mrs. Potato Head lips."

"No, forget it, leave stroke-mouth." Hayden sighed "It doesn't matter."

"It's not like we're gonna win this anyway." Rory added.

Their mother looked between them in disbelief "Whoa, bad attitude alert."

"Mom, face it." Rory gestured to the elaborate snow sculpture a neighbour was working on "That is the single most incredible snowman I have ever seen."

"Ebenezer Scrooge has never looked so good." Hayden added.

"Bless you." Lorelai told her youngest before looking to the snow sculpture for herself "I'm sorry, that snowman is way over the top, way too showy. It's screaming 'I'm incredible, I'm special, look at me.'"

Hayden smirked "Sounds like you at Friday night dinners."

Lorelai scoffed in amusement "Wow, using mommy issues as a taunt? I'm so proud, kid."