CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

THERE'S THE RUB

THERE'S THE RUB

...☕️...

LUKE'S diner was chaos as chunks of the ceiling fell with her pound of a hammer, coating customers eggs in drywall and dropping nails into their coffee. The construction of the apartment upstairs was well underway and very much needed in order to make some real space for Jess but the constant banging and plastic tarps covering the walls and tables was not the ideal environment for business.

Luke was at his wits end when the Gilmore girls walked in, their identical blue eyes widening at the spectacle before them. Lorelai blew out a breath "Geez, look at this place."

"It's a mess." Rory mused.

"Is it too late to book the week off?" Hayden muttered as the banging pounded in her head.

Jess perked up from behind the counter where he read his book, hard hat loosely resting on his head "If she gets the week off so do I."

"No one gets the week off." Luke was stern as he walked around, replacing customers coffee with non lethal cups.

Hayden shot Jess a look, mimicking his voice childishly "If she gets the week off so do I. Loser."

Jess merely sent her the middle finger that she gasped at it before joining her mother and sister at a free table only for Luke to appear behind her making her jump "Ah!"

"Nope  can't sit here."

Lorelai frowned "Why not?"

"Three people got nailed in the head here earlier." Luke admitted.

"Let Hayden sit there and make it four." Jess piped up, heading towards the stairs.

Hayden's eyes narrowed at his retreating back as her mother questioned "But their food was okay, right?"

"Will you just move?" Luke huffed before Lorelai's cell phone rang and he watched her dig through her purse with a sigh "Outside."

"You know, if I sit here one more second, I just might be outside." She grumbled before getting to her feet, glancing between her daughters as Hayden took a seat "Order me some coffee."