CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

WHAT THE PUFF?

WHAT THE PUFF?

______☕️______

______☕️______

JESS watched Hayden zone out mid-shift behind the counter, her stare low and usual smile turned down into a thoughtful frown. And while he'd usually be thankful for the peace and quiet, but seeing the usually bubbly girl so dull and despondent had him shifting uncomfortably. A sad Hayden Gilmore was not a sight he wanted to see.

With a sigh he set down his rag and approached the girl "Okay, enough moping. So your sister set your ex-boyfriend up with London--"

"Paris." Hayden corrected.

Jess rolled his eyes, folding his arms across his chest as he leant back against the counter "Yeah, yeah, whatever, same thing. Sure, what Rory did sucked but so what? Your ex is a tool and you deserve better."

Hayden frowned, opening her mouth to retort when the bell jingled above the door. She turned to see her mother and sister approach the counter, taking a seat before her as Lorelai looked around the diner "Wow, busy today. Has Luke been advertising or something?"

"He gets good word-of-mouth." Hayden informed her in amusement "Something about the spectacular service from the hot high schoolers."

Jess smirked to himself as he left the Gilmore girls to it while Lorelai chuckled "Well, we have to start spreading bad word-of-mouth so we can always have a table."

"Well, that would be wrong, but sure." Rory shrugged "Vermin?"

Their mother's eyebrows raised in thought "Or no potable water."

"Or no potable vermin."

"That would scare them away." Lorelai mused.

"Or confuse them away." Rory argued.

Hayden frowned "I'm confused."

Lorelai's gaze drifted towards Luke who talked with a customer by the window "It's so weird to see him talking like that."