CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

IT SHOULD'VE BEEN LORELAI

______☕️______

THERE was no such thing as a comfortable silence when Lorelai Gilmore was around and the morning walk to Luke's was no exception. If it wasn't a rant about her mother, men or decaf coffee, it was whatever niche subject that popped into her head, something Hayden always found amusing "—But my question is, how did that happen? How was it that suddenly everyone in the world was saying 'music has charms to soothe the savage beast' when it was written breast?"

"I don't know." Rory shrugged "At some point someone misspoke and it just caught on."

Their mother scoffed "How do things like that catch on?"

Hayden glanced over at her mother "How do you soothe savage breasts?"

"Well, if a man's good with his tongue he can su—"

"Mom, please." Rory cut her off "One, you're disgusting and two, you're driving me crazy."

Lorelai ignored her complaints "I mean, did some guy like say it at a big rally of some sort and everyone went home and started saying it that way and then it just spread from there?"

"Like when Bootsy stood up at the town meeting and said 'What doesn't kill us makes us stronger'?"

Rory shot her a look "That was Nietzsche."

"Bless you." Hayden rolled her eyes before leading her family into Luke's only to gasp dramatically at the sight of the empty diner "Did the world end? Is this the apocalypse? Are the dead walking?"

"No." Luke shot her a look from behind the counter as he wiped "Just one of those weird lulls, happens occasionally."

"Not when I'm on shift." Hayden mused before the sound of trudging footsteps had her look towards the staircase just as a grumbling and groaning tired Jess came down and she pointed in his direction "See, zombie."

Jess grunted an incoherent greeting, sending the three Gilmore girls a two fingered salute before leaving, jacket slung over his shoulder and book rolled up in his hand.