CHAPTER NINE

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RORY AND HAYDEN

SMILE in place, Hayden waltzed through the diner, plate in hand before she set it in front of their most loyal customer "Here you go, Kirk."

The young man eyed his chicken salad dinner before looking up to Hayden "Was this lettuce rinsed?"

Knowing that Caesar didn't believe in cleaning fruits and vegetables, Hayden raised an eyebrow in the hopes of distracting Kirk from his question "Do you ever wonder where the other half of that chicken is?"

Kirk frowned "Well, no—"

"I mean someone, somewhere in the world is eating one half of  Mr. Little there." The Gilmore's girl shrugged "They could be eating it right now."

Kirk paused before his eyes lit up "Do you think they're looking for someone else who likes chicken?"

Seeing her mother and sister enter the diner from the corner of her eyes, Hayden sighed in relief "And that's my cue." She raised an eyebrow as she sat at their table "So... how'd it go?"

Rory's head fell onto the table with a thump "It didn't. We're having two birthday parties."

Hayden snorted "Emily is throwing you a party?"

"Us." Rory corrected "She's throwing us a party."

"I'm not going." Hayden denied instantly.

Lorelai sighed "Kid, I get that you're mad and upset, trust me," she held a hand to her chest "I know, but you can't avoid them forever. You haven't talked to them in weeks."

"They ask about you all the time." Rory tried "Every Friday, no matter what we talk about, it always comes back to you."

Hayden rolled her eyes "Well they haven't asked me anything."

Lorelai raised an eyebrow "Babe, you won't answer the phone. Friday is your sixteenth birthday..."

"Please go." Rory pleaded "I want to spend it together, no matter where we are."

Hayden looked between the two's puppy dog eyes and pouted lips that rivalled her own before sighing in defeat "Fine. But there better be cake."
☕️

"HAPPY Birthday, Mary."

Hayden sighed, closing her locker as she turned to face the Dugray boy "It's not my birthday."