CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

TEACH ME TONIGHT

TEACH ME TONIGHT

...☕...

LORELAI was alone in the kitchen, finishing off her last assignment for business school while her daughters enjoyed their first official day of summer as they should-- locked away in their rooms. She had just polished off a sentence when the phone rang and Lorelai waited for one fo the twins to grab it but when there was no sign of life from either, their mother let out a huff "It's not enough I give birth but I have to walk the whole way to the phone, too?" Lorelai shuffled towards the hallway between the kitchen and living room, holding the cordless to her ear "Gilmore residence-- this is their servant speaking."

"They finally got one?" A familiar female voice came through and Lorelai sighed silently "I know the house is small but--"

"Hi, Louise." The woman cut her off "It's Lorelai."

There was a pause before she spoke again "My bad. I didn't mean small in a negative way, your house is... cute, in a little bit of a sad way. Like an old man eating alone or like when you flirt with some geek from the chess club so he does your homework—"

Suddenly Rory's door opened followed by her voice calling down the stairs "Is it Dean?"

"No, it's Louise." Lorelai called back.

Rory's door slammed closed as Hayden's opened, the wide eyed girl looking out into the kitchen towards her mother "Did you say Louise?"

Lorelai sighed and held out the phone "Here, Thelma." Phone in hand, Hayden rushed back into her room and Lorelai blinked "You're welcome."

She was just about to return to her assignment when the doorbell rang and the Gilmore woman groaned before heading to answer it, eyebrows raising in surprise "Huh, I didn't order a broody diner owner, did I?"

Luke's already furrowed eyebrows furrowed even further "What?"

"Never mind." She shook her head and stepped back, silently inviting the man inside "What are you doing here?"