CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

RED LIGHT ON THE WEDDING NIGHT

WHILST her mother and Rory were diving into the test tasting cakes Fran had so kindly baked, comparing notes and compliments, Hayden's mind was on one thing as she pushed the frosting around with her fork

WHILST her mother and Rory were diving into the test tasting cakes Fran had so kindly baked, comparing notes and compliments, Hayden's mind was on one thing as she pushed the frosting around with her fork. School. Summer was almost at end and with that would come her return to Chilton alongside everyone else... alongside Tristan. And while she'd heard rumours of his holiday activities, hearing them was one thing, but seeing them in person was a whole nother ball game she wasn't ready for.

"With a crunch and a zing and a hm hm hm hm, hello!" Lorelai sang, knocking Hayden out of her thoughts.

"Okay, our house is burning down, and you can save the cake or us." Rory challenged "What do you choose?"

Lorelai frowned as she glanced to the plate in front of her "Well that's not fair. The cake doesn't have legs."

Hayden's lips twitched up in amusement before she spotted Fran making her way behind the counter "So how are we coming here?"

"Oh Fran, so good." Lorelai gushed "This cake is amazing."

"Beyond amazing." Rory corrected.

Hayden gave the woman a quick smile "The best."

"Well, I should hope so." Fran quipped "We've been doing this for a 112 years."

"Huh. Well, you don't look a day over a 106." Lorelai joked.

But Fran didn't understand and so frowned "No, I meant my family's been doing it for that long."

"Right." Lorelai cleared her throat "Okay, well, I'm glad we got that cleared up."

Rory gasped around another mouthful, gesturing to the cake in question excitedly "The raspberry, the raspberry, the raspberry!"