CHAPTER FORTY

SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER

...☕️...

WITH the last of their finals that afternoon, Lorelai was treating her daughters to a heart breakfast at Luke's "--Okay, you can order anything but you gotta eat a banana."

"A banana?" Rory questioned in bemusement.

"Brain food." Their mother elaborated "Something about it gives your brain a little power up. Like coffee. It's makes you happy. Maybe it's the color."

Hayden smirked "Or the shape."

"Hey." Lorelai chided jokingly "No being slutty before 9am."

The three snickered before heading inside, and Hayden gave a two-fingered salute to Jess before smiling at Luke as he filled up a customers coffee "Hey, Luke."

"Hey, back." His lips twitched up in the corners "Take a seat."

Lorelai glanced around "Anywhere?"

"Anywhere you want."

Hayden watched in amusement as her mother turned to the man reading a paper by the door "Could you move please?"

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion "What?"

Luke rushed to put his hand on her back, urging her away from his paying customers "Anywhere where there's not people."

"Oh, well, like I'm a mind reader. I was just joking." She told the man before the three took a table towards the middle of the diner "Hmm, that's funny."

"What?" Rory questioned.

Lorelai looked around "Something's different here, something's changed."

"Luke doesn't change things." Hayden argued "No matter how much I try and bribe him to get cute aprons."

"No, I swear, there's something."

Rory hummed in thought "You know, I'd be very disappointed if something changed in here." She glanced to Hayden as her sister opened her mouth to comment "Except for the aprons.