CHAPTER FIVE

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY(S)

HAYDEN sat at the back of the room, chin resting upon her fist, barley listening to the droning voice of her new English teacher much like the others students in her class, except of course for Rory and the scowling blonde from before who sat in the front row "—And while French culture was the dominant outside cultural influence, especially for Russia's monied class, English culture also had it's impact. Tolstoy's favorite author, for instance, was—?"

The blonde raised her hand briefly before answering "Dickens."

"Yes," Mr. Medina smiled "and last week we discovered Dostoevski's main authorial influences—?"

She raised her hand again, not waiting to be called on "George Sand and Balzac."

Rory looked at her apprehensively as Mr. Medina nodded "Good. As Tolstoy commenced writing both 'War and Peace' and 'Anna Karenina', Count Leo would turn to—"

"David Copperfield." The blonde interjected.

Mr. Medina nodded, sighing silently "Correct. He would turn to 'David Copperfield' for inspiration. He—" their teacher paused as the classroom door opened before smiling at the interruption in the form of a teenage boy "Ah, Mr. Dugray."

The blond haired boy handed over a note "Sir."

"Nice to have you back, Tristan." Mr. Medina nodded "I hope your Grandfather's feeling better."

"Much better, sir." Tristan nodded politely.

"Good." He smiled "Take your seat please."

Hayden raised an eyebrow at the blond boy as he leered openly at Rory before slipping into the free seat beside her and she watched as he slowly looked up, eyes trailing up her legs before widening as their gazes met. He snapped out of his awed stupor before planting on a smirk, leaning across the aisle "Well hello, Mary."

"It's Hayden." The Gilmore girl corrected with narrowed eyes.

Before Tristan could retort, the bell rang and Mr. Medina sighed "Ah, class dismissed."

As the class placed up their belongings, the Dugray boy smirked as he caught up with his friend's, eyeing the sister's "Looks like we got ourselves a couple of Mary's."

Hayden rolled her eyes "You could at least be creative enough to give us different nicknames."

"Oh trust me," he smirked, eyeing her altered skirt "they're very different."