CHAPTER SIXTEEN

FORGIVENESS AND STUFF

"OW!"

Lorelai shot her youngest daughter a look amidst the hustle and bustle of Miss. Patty's studio, pinning the Mary costume on Hayden's body in preparation for the Christmas pageant "Hold still."

"You stuck me." Hayden accused.

Her mother rolled her eyes "I did not stick you."

"You did too." Hayden scoffed "You've done it so many times I'm practically a cactus at this point."

"You're certainly prickly." Lorelai muttered. But she wouldn't hold it against her. She was the same after her first break with Christopher... And every other that followed suit.

"Um, Taylor," Rory approached the man who stood a mere few feet away from the rest of the Gilmore girls "the baby Jesus is missing an arm again."

His eyes widened in alarm "What?"

"I was just getting it out of the trunk and—"

"Let me see that." He snatched it from her grasp "Oh for Pete's sake! Okay listen up! The arm is missing! I repeat the arm is missing!"

Hayden looked to the man "Maybe it's just time to get a new baby Jesus, you know, one that's a boy."

"It's a doll." Taylor defended, clutching it to his cardigan covered chest "No one can tell."

"Well it has a bow..." Rory pointed to the pink number.

Taylor shook his head, still holding the baby protectively "This has been the baby Jesus in every Christmas pageant since 1965. Were you two here in 1965?"

"I wasn't here in 1965." Lorelai scoffed.

Taylor gave a smug look before stuffing the baby doll back into Rory's grasp "Find the arm."

"There, all done kid." Lorelai pat her daughter on the leg, allowing her to step off the stool before waving her off "Now go help your sister while I finish off Joseph, here."

Hayden eyed Kirk with a grimace. At least there was no stage kisses in the Bible. The Gilmore girl headed out of the studio, ready to check through the boxes upon boxes of props placed out on the lawn when she came to a sudden stop on the steps "Tristan..."

The Dugray boy shoved his hands into the pockets of his trousers sheepishly before chuckling lightly as he eyed her costume "Wrong Mary, Mary."