CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A HAYDEN SCORNED

STANDING outside their grandparents house in Hartford, Hayden and Rory shared a look from behind their parents as Lorelai and Christopher stood frozen, tense.

Their mother sighed heavily "I've gotta see my parents."

"I've gotta see my parents." Christopher shot back.

"And I've got to see mine be totally pathetic." Hayden rolled her eyes.

Rory nodded in agreement, gesturing to the two "Ladies and gentlemen, the drama king and queen of Connecticut."

Lorelai pouted before pulling her key from her coat pocket and letting them in "Hello? Anybody home?"

"Oh my God! You're here." Emily came from around the corner before spotting the Hayden man "Christopher, look at you!"

He smiled as he placed a kiss on her cheek "Emily, as always, perfect."

Emily smiled "I am so glad to see you, I didn't hear the doorbell."

"We didn't ring the doorbell." Lorelai admitted.

Emily looked to her daughter in scandalised disbelief "You let yourselves in? You usually knock."

"Not since you gave us a key."

Emily simpered "That is for emergencies.''

"Well mom, I'm starving to death." Lorelai smiled sarcastically "Is that enough of an emergency for you?"

Emily ignored her daughter and instead looked to  Christopher "Well, Richard's in the living room, come on in. He's dying to see you."

As their father was led away, Lorelai scowled as she whispered to her daughters "It's a setup giving me that key. It's a key, it meant to be used, it's my parents house."

Richard perked up as the girls followed their father "Well here they are."

"Hi Grandpa." they greeted in sync.

"Hello girls. Lorelai. Christopher old boy how are you?" He shook his hand firmly "My gosh it's good to see you!"

Christopher smiled "How are you Richard?"

"Well I'm better than most, not as good as some."

"And annoyed with all."