CHAPTER NINETEEN

CONCERT INTERUPTUS

CONCERT INTERUPTUS

AFTER her breakfast shift at Luke's, where the man taught her how to cook up all kinds of eggs (while she still struggled with poached, she had mastered scrambled and sunny side up), Hayden trudged her way home, shoulders already heavy knowing that any moment Paris Gellar would be at her house. But at least she had the concert to take away the pain.

"Honey, I'm home!" Hayden called out as she walked inside.

"In here, kid!"

Hayden followed the muffled sound to the living-room and frowned as she found it empty, save for the countless piles, bags and boxes of donated items "Mom?"

"Over here." Lorelai's head popped up across the room before Sookie followed as the Gilmore woman helped her up "We're okay but I'm never being civic-minded again."

"Jeez this stuff is like tribbles." Rory chuckled as she made her way downstairs.

Lorelai looked between her daughters "You two are just in time. Grab a bag and move it to the side of the room and be very careful, this pile just tried to eat Sookie."

"Maybe we should sic it on Paris when she gets here." Rory mused.

"Knowing her she'd probably fight her way out with her teeth." Hayden grumbled.

Lorelai's eyes widened "Oh my God, that's right. You're studying here today."

"Any minute actually." Rory admitted.

"Oh this place is such a pit."

Hayden shook her head "Mom don't worry about it. Unless we had a maid and four extra bathrooms, Freddie Prinze Jr couldn't make anywhere in Stars Hollow desirable for Chilton girls."

"She's right, they'll come in, they'll make a face, they'll say something snotty, we'll study, they'll leave." Rory added "I'm just looking forward to this whole day being over, then I can concentrate on the concert."

As Rory headed to her room to grab her books, Lorelai looked to Hayden wearily "And these girls are your friends?"

"Madeline and Louise are friend adjacent, and if you look past their rich girl bluster, they're actually pretty cool. They were there for me at my first dance competition with Chilton." Lorelai's face softened knowing she wasn't "But Paris? The bane of my existence."

Lorelai sighed but was prevented from commenting as the front door opened, Miss. Patty letting herself inside, bag in hand. The Gilmore woman smiled "More donations?"