Chapter Twelve

Avery has been settled in the Ambulance She has a bag of fluids connected to an IV in her hand and a warming blanket over her. 'Let's go before she runs again.'

'I'll go back to mine and get her bag. I'll meet you at the hospital in a few hours.' Jason tells T.K. and Owen. He turns around and starts walking off, as soon as he's out of sight, he collapses to the ground and breaks down crying.

.

A few hours have passed. Jason is returning to the hospital. He meets T.K. outside.

'How is she?' Jason asks him.

'They've sedated her so she can rest and they've started her on a feeding tube because her blood work shows she was super low in nutrients.' T.K. informs him.

'She was gone a few days, I don't think they needed the blood work to know she was low in nutrients.' Jason laughs slightly.

'They wanted to make sure, so they can give her the right dose and all that.' T.K. adds.

'Right.' Jason nods. 'This is what she came with, everything is in there.' He hands T.K. Avery's overnight bag.

'Do you want to come in and see her?' T.K. questions.

'I can't see her like this again.' Jason shakes his head. 'It's too hard. This is worse than what she like last time. I saw my sister go through something similar. I just need some time.' He continues. 'Will you call me when she wakes up and is a bit more lucid?'

'Sure.' T.K. nods.

'Thanks.' Jason sighs before walking off. After a few minutes, T.K. walks back into the hospital and to the psychiatric ICU where Avery is being kept. He presses the buzzer and a nurse escorts him through to Avery's room. When he walks in, Owen tunes to face him.

'Did Jason not want to come in?' Owen queries.

'He said he needs some time.' T.K. replies, putting Avery's book down. 'He'll come when she's awake and more lucid.' He sits in the other chair.

'The doctor came in whilst you were out. There's a few things they want to wait until Avery is awake to speak to us about.' Owen states. 'They won't release her for at least a week, anyway, and they recommended she goes to an inpatient facility when we go back to Austin.'

'What do you think?' T.K. questions.

'I think we wait until the week is over and see where she is then.' Owen responds. 'One day at a time.'

.

It has been a couple of days. Owen and T.K. have barley left the hospital, the doctors have started to reduce her sedative. It's mid-day, Owen and T.K. are about stand up to go and get some lunch from the cafeteria when they here Avery start to stir. They slowly sit back down and Owen grabs onto Avery's hand.

'Ave?' Owen says softly. Avery slowly opens her eyes, but when she doesn't recognise her surroundings, her eyes widen and she starts to panic. T.K. quickly jumps up and puts his hands on her shoulders.

'Avery, it's okay.' He reassures her. 'You're safe. You're in hospital.' Avery starts to calm down. 'You're safe.' He repeats.

'What-' Avery looks around then back at T.K. 'What am I in hospital for?'

'You don't remember?' T.K. asks her and she shakes her head. T.K. and Owen look at each other and then back at Avery. 'You don't remember the last couple of weeks?'

'The last thing I remember was being at the therapist's office.' Avery responds. 'Wait.' It dawns on her. 'I had a psychotic episode didn't I?' T.K. and Owen simply nod before telling her the full story. 'Fuck.' Avery runs her hand through her hair.

'Should we be concerned that you can't remember anything?' Owen asks her.

'No.' Avery shakes her head. 'The medication they would have given me makes sure I don't remember. Plus, I never remember once I become sane again anyways.' She adds. 'I'm sorry for putting you through all that.'

'It's okay.' Owen assures her. 'All that matters is that you're okay.'

'I stopped taking all my meds.' Avery admits. 'I- they were making me feel so crappy. More so in the past few months. It's been hard concentrating. Sleeping. Doing anything.'

'Why didn't you tell us?' T.K. sighs sympathetically.

'I guess because mom didn't care until it was too late, in a sense, something in my brain was telling me it'd be the same with you guys.' Avery replies. 'I know that it's not, but that's where my brain went and it wouldn't let me think otherwise.' There are a few moments of silence. 'The doctors probably already know from my blood work and were waiting until I was awake to address it.' Right on cue, the doctor walks in.

'Glad to see you're awake, Avery.' The doctor smiles. 'How are you feeling?'

'Better.' Avery nods. 'I think.'

'That's good to hear.' The doctor smiles. 'Is now a good time to talk? We have a great deal to discuss.' Avery looks at Owen who nods.

'Yeah.' Avery sighs and nods.

'Great.' The doctor grins. 'Let's get started.'

.

A couple of hours later, the doctor has finished speaking with Avery, T.K., Owen. They have started her on a new regime of medication and Avery is sat in her hospital room when a nurse walks in with Jason.

'Hey.' Avery smiles slightly.

'Hey.' Jason smiles back. 'Where are your dad and brother?' He sits on the edge of the bed.

'I convinced them to go down to the cafeteria.' Avery tells him. 'I told them there's no way I'm sneaking out of here. Not with all the security.'

'Did you tell him about the last time you were here?' Jason asks, laughing.

'What? When I starting jumping over the nurses station, leap-frogging the security guards?' Avery laughs. 'Yep.' Their laughter dies down. 'T.K. told me what happened.' Avery tells him. 'At the Quarry. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to put you through that.'

'You don't need to apologise.' Jason shakes his head. 'I've told you before, you never need to apologise to me. Not when you're feeling like this.' Avery smiles a little. 'I know what I was getting myself into when you were first diagnosed with the psychosis. I could have easily walked away.' He continues. 'I'm not going to walk away now. You're my best friend, Ave. You will always be my best friend.'

~~~~~~~~~~

This is more of a filler chapter! I hope you like it anyways!

Let me know what you think!

Much love