Chapter Twenty-Seven

It's been a couple of days. Avery has started some light physiotherapy in the form of leg stretches in bed to get her ready for when they start getting her walking again. She's sat in bed talking to Jason, T.K. and Owen but she keeps looking down at her kindle, which is in her lap.

'Are we keeping you from something important?' T.K. jokes when Avery looks down at her kindle for the hundredth time and swipes the screen to change the page. Avery ignores him. 'Ave?'

'Hmm?' Avery looks up.

'You keep looking down at your kindle.' T.K. says. 'What are you reading that's got you so interested?'

'You err- you don't want to know.' Avery shakes her head.

'Come on, it can't be that bad.' Owen states.

'She's probably reading some form of smutty book.' Jason laughs. Owen's eyes widen.

'Come on, dad. You know I read that sorta stuff.' Avery laughs.

'I know, but I didn't think you'd be bold enough to read it in front of us.' Owen states. 'So, out with it, what's it about?'

'You really don't want to know.' Avery shakes her head.

'I can't be that bad.' Owen laughs. 'Can it?' He looks at Jason nervously.

'Ave reads some pretty messed up shit so it could be anything.' Jason laughs. Owen looks at Avery, an eyebrow raised.

'Fine.' She sighs. ' It's a reverse harem with four brothers who are part of the Irish Mafia and a hacker.' (A/N: This does exist - it's the New York Ruthless series by Sadie Kincaid and it is amazing!) Avery says. T.K. goes to reach for the kindle by Avery quickly snatches it and hides it under the cover, wincing in pain.

'You okay?' Owen asks.

'Yeah.' Avery nods. 'You and T.K. can know what I read. But no chance in hell am I letting you see what I read.'

'Just a little peek.' T.K. says.

'Nope.' Avery shakes her head adamantly. 'You read a page once and teased me for two weeks. It ain't happening again.'

'It's fun teasing you.' T.K. grins and Avery sticks her tongue out at him.

'Knock, knock.' They hear from the door. They look over and see Chimney standing in the doorway. 'Hi.'

'Hi.' They all smile at him.

'Is now a good time to visit?' Chimney asks.

'Sure.' Owen nods. 'We'll pop down to the cafeteria for a coffee. If we stay in here too it will get crowded.' Owen stands up with T.K. and Jason. 'Stay as long as you want. Just text me when you leave.' Chimney nods and Owen, T.K. and Jason leave. Once they've left, Chimney walks to her bedside.

'You know, when I said that I hoped to see you before you left, this isn't exactly what I meant.' Chimney laughs as he sits down.

'I can never do anything simple.' Avery laughs slightly before groaning in pain. 'Ugh, don't make me laugh, it still hurts.'

'How are you feeling?' Chimney asks.

'Sore, but otherwise doing okay.' Avery replies.

'That's good.' Chimney nods. 'Have they been able to get you out of bed yet?'

'Not yet.' Avery shakes her head. 'They've had me doing some leg exercises in bed to make sure I have some strength in my legs before we start.'

'That makes sense.' Chimney nods. 'What else has the Physio said?'