Chapter Twenty-Nine

It's been a week and it's the day that Megan is returning to Austin. Avery is just finishing up a physiotherapy session. She's still been using the crutches to help her get around but she's ben using them less and less.

'So, Avery,' The physio, Leigha, starts, 'how would you feel if I said I think you're ready to stop using the crutches completely?'

'Erm...' Avery wrings her hands. 'Nervous.'

'You've done really well. Considering the amount of trauma you've gone through, it's a really good sign. You've been doing physio every other day and it's evident that you've been doing the exercises at home too.' Leigha tells her. 'You can walk for more than half an hour without havig to stop, yes, you're still having a little trouble but you've shown that you know when to stop when it gets too much. You'll still have to do a little bit of physiotherapy, but maybe just do home exercises and we'll have fortnightly appointments. How does that sound?' Leigha continues.

'That sounds good.' Avery nods.

'Great.' Leigha smiles. 'Would you like me to call your dad later and explain what we've just talked about?'

'No it's okay.' Avery shakes her head. 'He's downstairs waiting for me. Thank you so much Leigha.'

'All part of the job.' Leigha nods. 'And Avery, remember, despite me saying that you're ready to not use the crutches at all, it's okay to ask for help or use the crutches again if you're really struggling.'

'Thank you.' Avery smiles and nods before leaving the physiotherapy unit. She takes her time making her way down to the hospital cafeteria. When Owen sees her, he smiles and stands up.

'No crutches?' He asks.

'Leigha said I was ready to stop using them.' Avery explains. 'It feels weird.'

'It would do.' Owen laughs slightly. 'Do you know when Megan is landing?'

'She text me just before physio started that they were boarding. I checked the arrival times for the airport. She'll be here in about 4ish hours.' Avery replies. 'Are we meeting T.K. and Carlos there or all going together?'

'We're all going to go together. We're going to head over to their place for a bit.' Owen informs her. He sees the smirk spread across her face. 'No,' he sighs, 'you cannot climb up the fire escape and scare them.'

'But daaaadddd.' Avery whines.

'Avery,' Owen raises an eyebrow, 'you still have to take it easy. The cardiothoracic doctor said, just yesterday, that you can't do any heavy lifting or tough exercise for a while. You need to give your aorta some proper time to heal.' They both start walking out of the hospital.

'Ugh.' Avery scoffs. 'I just want to get back to being able to prank Carlos and T.K. It's been soooo boring.' Owen just laughs and shakes his head. 'Oohh, what if when we get there, I hide and when they ask you where I am, you tell them I took a funny turn and had to be admitted?'

'I am not doing that.' Owen shakes his head. 'That's cruel.'

'Fine.' Avery sighs. They reach the car and get in. 'I know.' Avery smiles smuggly. She gets her phone out, quickly turns her caller ID off and dials T.K. number as she gets a whistle out of her pocket.

'What are you - where did you even get that whistle?' Owen asks confused.

'Shh.' Avery hushes him.

'Hello?' T.K. answers cautiously. Avery brings the whistle to her mouth and blows on it as hard as she can. 'Ow!' Avery hears the sound of T.K's phone dropping to the ground. 'Avery!' He scolds his sister after a few moments.