Chapter Forty-Eight

Owen, T.K., Avery and Carlos are sitting around a table in Perry's Steakhouse and Grille in downtown Texas.

'This is fancy.' Avery shimmies in her seat causing T.K. to laugh.

'Well, we haven't eaten out in a while.' T.K. states. 'We wanted to treat you and Dad.'

'That, and,' Carlos adds, grabbing hold of T.K.'s hand. 'We have an announcement.'

'Oh, yeah?' Owen raises an eyebrow.

'We're engaged.' T.K. grins.

'Fucking dang it.' Avery groans. 'You dicks.'

'Avery-,' Owen starts to scold his daughter.

'You ruined my plans.' Avery huffs, crossing her arms.

'We ruined your plans?' T.K. laughs.

'Yeah.' Avery nods. 'I was gonna convince both of you, separately, to take the other out to dinner and propose so you'd both propose at the same time.'

'Only you would do that.' Owen laughs shaking his head.

'But it was sweet of you to think of doing that.' T.K. adds. 'We want to keep it secret for a little while, we want to throw a party to celebrate and we'll tell everyone then.'

'How are you going to get everyone to a party without letting on it's to celebrate your engagement?' Avery asks, curious.

'That, little sister,' T.K. grins, 'I will leave up to you.' Avery thinks for a moment before smirking and going back to eating.

'I'm going to regret putting her in charge, aren't I?' T.K. leans into Carlos and whispers.

'Oh, definitely.' Carlos laughs quietly.

.

It's been a few days, Avery and Owen are in a meeting with Dr Braun.

'So, as you know, the funding for your support workers is running out. Reviewing your progress, I'm not going to apply for an extension. Instead, I believe you would benefit from having an emotional support animal.' Dr Braun tells Avery. 'An emotional support animal will hopefully help with your depression symptoms and your general mental health.' Dr Braun explains. 'There's a shelter not far from here that houses animals certified as emotionally supportive, or, if you already have a pet, we can get them certified.'

'We don't have any pets.' Owen shakes his head.

'Well, there's no rush.' Dr Braun shakes her head. 'Take some time to think on it if you want.' She looks at the clock. 'That brings us to the end of the appointment. I've already prepped the paperwork to say you qualify for an emotional support animal. You can pick that up from reception. I'll see you next week.'

'Thank you.' Avery smiles slightly. She stands up with Owen and they leave. As they walk past reception, Owen picks up the paperwork Dr Braun was talking about. Five minutes later, they're in the car.

'So, what do you think about getting an emotional support animal?' Owen asks Avery.

'I want to get one.' Avery nods. 'Can we go to the shelter now?'

'Yeah.' Owen smiles. 'Let's go.' He looks up the name of the shelter Dr Braun gave them, finds the directions and starts the drive.

Fifteen minutes later, Owen is pulling up in front of the shelter. They both get out and walk into the building. They walk up to the main desk where a receptionist is sitting. She looks up at them.

'Welcome. How can I help?' They smile.

'My daughter's psychiatrist recommended she gets an emotional support animal.' Owen says.