Chapter Forty

Almost 40 minutes later, Owen is arriving at Chicago Med. He walks up to the ER check in desk where Nurse Leah is.

'Hi, my daughter, Avery Strand, was brought in not that long ago.' Owen tells Leah. Leah looks down at the computer for a few moments before looking back up at Owen.

'Her doctors are expecting you.' Leah nods. 'If you wait here, I'll go and let them know that you've arrived.' Owen nods and steps back whilst Leah walks off to find Will and Dr Charles. A few minutes later, the three of them walk out. Learn returns to the desk whilst Dr Charles and Will walk over to Owen.

'Owen.' Dr Charles shakes Owen's hand. 'This is Dr Will Halstead, he's also been treating Avery.'

'How is she?' Owen questions as he shakes Will's hand.

'We're going to go to a private room and talk to you about what's going on before we take you in to see her.' Will tells him. 'My brother, you would have met him, Detective Halstead, would also like to speak to you.'

'Okay.' Owen nods.

'Follow us.' Dr Charles states. Owen follows them to a private room where Jay is waiting and they all sit around the table.

'We found Avery at a Barnes and Noble.' Jay starts. 'She had to be sedated in order for us to bring her to hospital.'

'She has some self-harm cuts. They've all been clean and dressed and the ones that were deep have been closed.' Will explains the medical aspect. 'We're keeping her sedated, especially since we've placed a feeding tube.'

'We're going to be moving her to the psychiatric ICU shortly, however, there are some tests we would like to do with your permission.' Dr Charles adds before nodding at Jay.

'Before we were alerted about Avery's location, myself and Officer Ruzek were at the motel she had been staying at. We were shown some CCTV footage.' Jay starts. 'I don't want to go into the full details of what we saw but it leads us to believe that Avery was sexually assaulted.'

'Are you sure?' Owen asks quietly. That it was her on the footage?'

'Yes.' Jay nods.

'We'd like to do a rape kit and swabs to test for STDs.' Will informs him.

'Yeah,' Owen nods, 'yeah, you can do that.'

'We will get a nurse to do that right away and then you can sit with her.' Dr Charles informs him. 'Once she's on the psychiatric ICU, your son, his boyfriend and Avery's friend can come and see her, but only for a short period of time.'

.

A few hours later, Avery is settled on the psychiatric ICU. T.K., Carlos and Jason are just arriving and approaching the nurse's station. Owen sees them and so he walks out of Avery's room and joins them.

'T.K.' He states. The three of them turn to face him. 'She's over here.' He motions towards her room.

'How is she?' T.K questions.

'She's sedated and has a feeding tube. She had some cuts which have been dressed.' Owen informs them. 'Dr Charles wants to lighten the sedation tomorrow to speak to her.' He adds. 'We can stay for two more hours and then you guys will have to go back to the hotel.'

'What about you?' Carlos asks.

'I've been given permission to stay with her.' Owen replies. 'A nurse is going to bring in a fold up bed for me.'

'We haven't updated anyone back home yet. We wanted to see how she was first.' Jason says.

'Good idea.' Owen nods. 'We'll start with your mom and Megan but give it about an hour. Spend some time with her first.'