Chapter Forty-Nine

It has been a few days. Avery and Charlotte are going on a date. She's already gotten dressed into a sundress with some sandals and is upstairs doing her make-up when T.K. appears in her doorway.

'Hey.' He gets her attention. Avery stops what she's doing and turns to face him.

'Hey.' She grins. 'What are you doing here?'

'Carlos and I were heading out for lunch so we decided to pop by on the way.' T. tells her. 'Dad said you had another date with Charlotte.'

'Yeah.' Avery nods. 'We're going for some coffee and then to the movie theatre and Barnes and Noble.'

'Dad also said you were spending the night at hers.' T.K says as he wiggles his eyebrows.

'Chill, dude. We're not at that stage yet.' Avery laughs. 'Besides, her mom and younger sister will be there and before you say anything, yes, I have met them. A few times at Safe Haven and over FaceTime. Callie is cute, she reminds me of Ollie.' There are a few moments of silence.

'Ave-' T.K says gently as he walks into the room.

'I'm okay.' Avery smiles slightly. 'I'll never be over what happened, but I talk about it in therapy a lot and it's helping.'

'Good.' T.K nods. 'What time are you meeting Charlotte?'

'I'm leaving in about half an hour.' Avery replies. 'We're meeting at the coffee shop. It's easier than one of us picking the other up. So, you can leave me to finish getting ready now.' She tells him before turning back around.

'Bossy.' T.K. huffs as he walks out of the room.

'You know it.' Avery grins.

.

A couple of hours later, Avery and Charlotte are walking out of the movie theatre hand in hand and start making their way to the Barnes and Noble around the corner.

'That was better than I thought it would be.' Charlotte states.

'Yeah, it was.' Avery smiles, agreeing.

'My mom is picking us up at the Barnes and Noble in about an hour and a half.' Charlotte tells her. 'You think that's enough time for you to choose some books?'

'More than enough.' Avery laughs.

'Also, I hope you don't mind, my mom asked if you had any dietary requirements, I told her about your eating disorder but that you were in recovery.'

'No, that's fine.' Avery nods. 'Thanks. Saves me explaining it. It gets tiring sometimes.' They reach the bookstore and walk in. 'My dad, T.K. and Jason's mom, Sharon, all gave me some money so I have about $150 in total. How long do you think it will take me to spend it.'

'Well,' Charlotte chuckles, 'knowing you, not very long.' They start walking around the store and pick up the books they want. Avery picks up nine books, A Fragile Enchantment by Allison Saft, Ruthless Vows by Rebecca Ross, Gwen & Art are Not in Love by Lex Croucher, A Study in Drowning by Ava Reid, One for My Enemy by Olivie Blake, Cruel Seduction by Katee Robert, Powerless by Lauren Roberts, Butcher and Blackbird by Brynne Weaver, One Dark Window by Rachel Gillig. Charlotte laughs as Avery struggles to carry the books. 'Regretting not getting a basket?' She asks Avery.

'Maybe.' Avery averts eye contact. 'What are you getting?'

'I was thinking of picking two from the stack you have so that we can buddy read them.' Charlotte replies. 'Actually, you pick one, I'll pick one.' Avery looks down at her stack and thinks for a few moments.

'How about A Study in Drowning?' Avery suggests and Charlotte nods.

'I'll go with Butcher and Blackbird.' Charlotte says. 'It looks interesting. Let's go grab them.'