Chapter Twenty-Three

P/N: This chapter will include spoilers for DharmaWinter's story "Addicted", so if you don't want to spoiled for something to do with Megan, make sure to go and read Dharma's latest chapter of "Addicted" first. If you don't mind being spoiled, read on :) 

-

Avery and Megan arrive at Angel's Memorial Hospital. They stand to the side of the ambulance bay.

'This is the hospital I was treated at after the crash and when I went cray-cray.' Avery tells Megan. 'So I might just know this Mike dude.'

'Yeah...ehhh... I don't think I can do this.' Megan mumbles, looking up at the hospital. 'Nope.' She adds louder as she turns around and starts walking away.

'Are you fucking kidding me?!' Avery yells, making Megan freeze and turn back around. Avery knows everyone heard her but she doesn't care. 'Seriously? You fly all the way out here to talk to this guy. Your dad. And you're going to chicken out?' She asks. 'I don't think so.' She shakes her head. Her voice is still raised and Megan glances around seeing people staring at them.

'¡Ahora! ¡Ahora! ¿qué pasa con todos los gritos?' (Translation: Now! Now! What's with all the shouting?). A nurse said walking out of the ER and over to them. A look of shock descends onto his face when he sees Avery. 'Avery?'

'Hola, Jesse.' Avery smiles as they hug.

'You know him?' Megan asks Avery as the pair part.

'He was one of the nurses that treated me after the quarry accident.' Avery simply says. 'He came up and sat with me a few times so I wasn't alone.'

'Jesse, esta es Megan, mi mejor amiga de Austin.' (Translation: Jesse, this is Megan, my best friend from Austin). Avery introduces Megan to Jesse.

'Nice to meet you.' Jesse smiles.

'Likewise.' Megan nods. 'You speak Spanish?' Megan glances at Avery.

'I was already learning Spanish before the accident but Jesse taught me whilst I was in the hospital and I've kept learning and practising.' Avery explains.

'And it's improved.' Jesse tells her proudly.

'Thanks.' Avery blushes.

'So, what is with all the shouting?' Jesse repeats his first question.

'Oh, sorry. That's my fault.' Avery apologises. 'I was yelling at her.'

'Why?' Jesse asks.

'We're here for a reason... a personal reason. She's meeting someone.' Avery tells him, not wanting to go into more detail.

'I just found out who my biological dad is and he apparently works here.' Megan adds, not wanting to give a name just in case Mike didn't want that information shared with anyone.

'Right.' Jesse states.

'Yeah, we came over. Well, she did and I followed. She was about to walk away but I am not letting that happen.' Avery looks at Megan.

'Well, I will leave you two to sort this out but please stop shouting. I have to get back to work.' Jesse tells them. He walks back into the ER whilst Megan and Avery walk over to a wall and sit on it. Avery takes her book out of her bag and starts reading whilst Megan waits anxiously.

'Heads up.' Megan taps Avery's knee when she sees Mike walking over to them. Avery puts her book in her bag and looks up, smiling when she recognises the doctor. The two teens jump off the wall.

'Dr Leighton.' Avery smiles. 'I'm sure you don't remember me because it was so long ago. But you treated me after my mom's car crashed into a Quarry.' Mike thinks for a moment.