Chapter Six

It's the next morning. Avery wakes up still on the couch in Owen's office. She sits up and sees Owen sat at his desk.

'Did you have a good sleep?' He asks.

'Yeah.' Avery yawns as she stretches.

'Good.' Owen smiles. 'Why don't you get yourself freshened up and get yourself something to eat and then I want to speak to you about something.'

'Okay.' Avery nods and stands up. She picks up her backpack which has a spare change of clothes in and heads to the washroom. She has a quick wash before getting changed into her fresh set of clothes. She then brushes her hair and pulls it into a messy bun before doing her usual everyday make-up look. She walks through to the locker room and puts her bag on top of one of the lockers before walking to the kitchen where T.K. and Judd are stood talking. 'Morning.' She smiles.

'Morning.' They both smile back.

'How are you feeling?' T.K. asks his sister.

'Good.' Avery smiles. 'I've processed everything so I guess that's a good sign.'

'Just promise me that you won't bottle up any feelings.' T.K. says to her.

'I promise.' Avery nods as she prepares a bowl of cereal. She takes a spoon out of the drawer, sits at the table and starts eating.

After breakfast, she washes up and walks back up to Owen's office. She knocks on the door to make sure he's not in a meeting.

'Come in.' She hears him shout. She opens the door and walks in, closing it behind her. 'Did you get something to eat?' He asks her as she sits down.

'Yeah.' Avery nods.

'Good.' Owen smiles.

'What did you want to talk about?' Avery asks.

'Therapy.' Owen states.

'Therapy?' Avery raises an eyebrow.

'You're showing signs of PTSD.' Owen says. 'I just want you to be speaking to someone - a professional - about it. About your feelings. I don't want you feeling or thinking that- that erm-'

'That hurting myself or suicide is the only option.' Avery finishes for him.

'Yeah.' Owen nods.

'I'll do it.' Avery sighs. 'If it's what you want, I'll do it.'

'But is it what you want?' Owen queries.

'Having those thoughts was scary.' Avery says. 'Mom didn't know what was going on. She thought it was just me being a "teenager" or whatever.' She air quotes the word "teenager". She sits forwards in her chair. 'I didn't have anyone to talk to back in L.A. - that would have helped. You've seen a change in my behaviour, mom never did. So yes, I want to do therapy.'

'I'll get you set up with one.' Owen nods.

.

It has been a few weeks. Avery has started her therapy and so far, even though she's only had two sessions, things are going good. Megan has been seeing T.K. a lot more and as a result, she and Avery have become good friends. It's a Saturday afternoon. Megan and Avery have been spending the day together. Since it's a nice day, they are sitting on the grass in the park. Two women walk by with a stroller, clearly a couple. Avery and Megan smile at them and they smile back.

'That's disgusting.' They hear. The two women stop and turn their attention to a middle-aged man sat on the bench. After a moment, they continue walking. Avery and Megan also look at him briefly before returning to their conversation. 'Y'know, that kid's gonna be pretty messed up.' The man calls after the women. This time, they don't bother stopping. 'A child deserves a mom and a dad. Not two moms. Or two dads for that matter.' Avery spins around glares at the man.