Chapter Forty-Three

Avery has now been at Safe Haven for a month and a half meaning that she's nearing the end of her stay. Owen is sitting with Avery in the sensory room. Avery is sitting in her usual chair with Owen sitting on a beanbag.

'Do you think-,' Avery starts to ask, 'do you think we could get one of these chairs for home? It calms me.'

'Of course.' Owen nods. 'I can't stay for long today but T.K. and Carlos are coming by later on.'

'That's fine.' Avery smiles slightly. 'I erm- I wanted to talk to you about something that happened in Chicago.' She continues. 'I know you already know because Dr Charles told me, but I don't think I'll get past it if I don't talk about it. With you.'

'Ave, you don't have to justify why you want to tell me something.' Owen assures her. Avery nods and takes a deep breath.

'One night, I was getting back to the motel and some guys were blocking my way. They were Russian, I think. I asked them to let me by, but they said some things, they were very predatory. I don't remember exactly what they said, but next thing I knew I was being pushed out of their motel room, pain between my legs and-,' she takes a moment to stop herself from crying, 'there was blood and I was sticky.' Owen puts his hand on her shoulder to comfort her. 'Dad, it wasn't the first time.' She shakes her head, tears filling her eyes.

'First time what?' Owen asks, even though he has a sinking feeling he knows what she means.

'The first time I was raped.' Avery tells him.

'You don't have to tell me now. We can speak about it another day.' Owen tells her, sensing it will be too much for her.

'If I don't tell you now, I don't think I'll ever have the courage to tell you.' Avery replies. 'I was back in L.A., I was at Matthew's house, he was one of my best friends, he roofied one of my drinks and raped me. He tried again later that day, but his sister walked in and pulled him off of me.' She carries on. 'She's the one that encouraged me to the police. He got let out early and tracked me down here, trying to apologise but in doing so, he breached a restraining order, so he was taken back to L.A. and he's finishing the rest of his sentence.'

'Ave, I'm so proud of you for telling me.' Owen comforts her. 'Does anyone else know?'

'Just Jason and Dr Braun. T.K. and Carlos know part of the story but not all of it.' Avery responds. 'I'll tell everyone else when I'm ready.'

'Don't feel like you have to rush yourself.' Owen tells us. 'Focus on getting back on track. You owe us nothing. Okay?'

'Okay.' Avery nods slightly.

.

It's later that afternoon, Charlotte and Avery are both sitting in the facility's library buddy reading a book - Brutal Prince by Sophie Lark.

'You know, Mafia books can be so underrated.' Avery looks up from her Kindle. 'I mean, who doesn't love a guy that will threaten to kill someone if they even look at the girl they love?'

'You're right there.' Charlotte laughs. 'Morally grey characters are my favourite kind of characters.' She adds. 'Where are you at?'

'Erm-' Avery looks down at her Kindle, '48%.' She looks back up at Charlotte. 'You?'

'46%.' Charlotte replies. 'Shall we stop at the next chapter?'

'Yeah, that might be a good shout.' Avery nods, looking at the time. 'T.K. and Carlos will be coming in about half an hour.' Charlotte met T.K. and Carlos on the days when they've visited Avery and the two girls have been together. 'I have a feeling they're going to ask me when I'm going to allow Megan to visit. They ask me every time they come.'