Chapter Forty-Five

After spending some time at Megan's, Avery heads home with Owen. They walk through the front door, and as soon as they do, Avery catches the smell of cooking. She inhales deeply and grins.

'Is that BBQ pork?' She asks, turning to Owen.

'It is.' Owen laughs and nods. 'T.K. and Carlos offered to come buy and cook so you can eat when you got back. They're doing BBQ pulled pork burgers with some fries and salad. That's if you want to eat?'

'Yeah, I'm hungry.' Avery nods.

'They also said that if you'd rather see them another day, they'll go out the back way.'

'Cute.' Avery smirks, folding her arms in front of her chest. 'They think they can escape from my antics.' She walks through to the kitchen and sees Carlos and T.K. standing at the counter with their back to her. She sneaks up behind T.K. and stands up on her tip-toes.

'Hello.' She states, causing both T.K. and Carlos to jump.

'Jesus fucking christ!' T.K. exclaims, spinning to face his younger sister. 'When are you going to stop being a sneaky fucker?'

'Hmm, let me think.' Avery goes back to standing flat on her feet and taps her finger on her lip. 'Never.' She deadpans.

'Wouldn't expect anything less.' Carlos laughs, shaking his head. 'The food is just about ready so why don't you sit down at the table.'

'Sure,' she nods, 'but not before I do this.' She quickly sticks her finger in her mouth, stands on her tiptoes once more and sticks it in T.K.'s ear.

'Eugh, gross.' T.K. pretend gags and he steps away whilst Avery descends into fits of giggles.

'That's,' she starts to say through her laughing, 'that's what you get for' her eyes start filling with tears from how hard she's laughing, 'for thinking you run away from my antics.'

'What's going on?' Owen asks as he walks in.

'Avery gave T.K. a wet willie.' Carlos laughs. Owen spins to his daughter and raises his eyebrow.

'What?' Avery shrugs, calming down and wiping her eyes.

'Let's just sit down and eat.' Owen shakes his head, stifling a laugh. Owen and Avery sit at the table as Carlos and T.K. carry over the plates. They both sit down and start to eat.

'So, have you spoken to Charlotte since you were discharged?' T.K. asks his younger sister, smirking causing Carlos to kick him in the shin. 'Ow.' He turns to Carlos who has an eyebrow raised. 'What? I'm curious.'

'We spoke earlier.' Avery answers and T.K. turns his attention back to her. 'We're meeting for coffee tomorrow.'

'You'll have to speak to your support worker about that tomorrow.' Owen points out.

'Yeah,' Avery nods, 'I will.'

.

Later that evening, Jason is at the Strand residence. Both he and Avery are sitting in the reading room.

'So, have you eaten today?' Jason asks his best friend.

'Yeah, I had a BBQ pulled pork burger with fries and salad when I got back.' Avery nods. 'Carlos and T.K. made it.'

'Ah, one of your favourites.' Jason grins.

'And,' Avery adds, 'I ate it all.'

'Ave,' Jason smiles proudly. 'I'm so proud of you.'

'Thanks.' Avery whispers quietly.

'So, how did it go with Megan?' Jason questions.

'Good.' Avery nods. 'She's coming over tomorrow after-' she then stops herself before correcting herself, 'tomorrow. She's coming over tomorrow.'