Chapter Thirty-Eight

Later that evening, in Chicago, Avery arrives back at the motel she's staying at. She walks up the stairs to the hallway her room is on and sees three, very drunk, men standing near her door. Instead of turning around, she walks straight towards them.

'Excuse me.' She says quietly. The men turn to face her.

'What's a pretty girl like you doing out so late.' The first one smiles. She can hear a slight Russian accent in his voice. 'This motel is no place for a princess like you.'

'Look, dude, I just want to get to bed.' Avery sighs.

'Fiesty little princess aren't you.' The second one stumbles towards her. 'We like feisty girls.' He reaches out and strokes her hair. 'Such soft hair too.'

'Say, why don't we have a bit of fun tonight.' The third one wiggles his eyebrows. 'You have the body of someone who could go all night.' He strokes her upper arm with his forefinger.

'Hands off, jerks.' She snaps, standing back. The first one's eyes go dark as he stalks towards Avery. He walks closer and closer to her until her back is against the wall and wraps his hand around his neck, applying pressure.

'That's no way to treat some guys trying to show you a little appreciation.' He says, his face right in front of hers. 'We're just looking for a good time, something which, by the looks of it, you could use, and trust me devochka, the amount of pleasure we will bring you, will ruin you for life.'

'I'm gay, nothing you do will bring me pleasure.' Avery rasps.

'Even better,' the guy smirks, 'we love a little challenge.' Avery gathers all the saliva she can into her mouth and spits at him. 'Shlyukha, you're gonna wish you hadn't done that.' His head snaps to the two other guys. 'Get the door open. We're going to treat this girl a lesson.'

Hours have passed, Avery is pushed out of the room she was just in with the three guys, her clothes torn. She limps to her room, gets her key out, thanking god that they hadn't stolen it from her, and enters the room. She closes the door behind her and double-checks it locked before walking to the shower. She turns the water on as hot as it will go and peels the clothes from her skin. Blood trickles down her thighs as well as other evidence of what's just happened. She puts her hand under the stream of water and, satisfied with how hot it is, climbs in, sinks to the floor and brings her knees to her chest, tears flowing down her cheeks.

.

It's the next day, Owen, T.K., Carlos and Jason have arrived in Chicago and are standing outside of the 21st District.

'This is where Detective Halstead said to come when we arrived.' Carlos tells them. The four of them walk into the district and up to the desk where Sergeant Trudy Platt is.

'How can I help?' Trudy asks them.

'We're here about Avery Strand. We're her family. I spoke to Detective Jay Halstead on the phone yesterday.'

'Halstead said to expect you.' Trudy nods. 'Come with me.' She walks out from behind the desk and leads the group up the stairs and into Intelligence. 'Detective Halstead.' She states and Jay looks up from his desk. 'Avery Strand's family.'

'Thanks, Trudy.' Jay nods, standing up. Trudy walks back down the stairs as Jay approaches Carlos, Owen, T.K. and Jason.

'Carlos Reyes, I spoke to you on the phone yesterday.' Carlos extends his hand.

'Jay Halstead.' Jay shakes Carlos' hand.

'This is Owen, Avery's dad, T.K., Avery's brother and Jason, her best friend.' Carlos introduces the three of them as Jay shakes their hands also.