Chapter Nineteen

A few weeks have passed. Megan has moved out of the Strand residence and into her own apartment. It's a Monday morning, Owen walks into the living room where Avery is sitting reading a book.

'Go get changed into something comfortable.' Owen tells her. She looks up at him confused. 'And your hiking boots.'

'Why?' Avery asks.

'The weather's nice. I thought we'd go for a hike.' Owen tells her. 'It will get us out the house.' Avery puts her bookmark in her book and puts it down. 'Plus, we haven't had much father/daughter time together.'

'Okay.' Avery nods standing up. 'I could use the time away from my phone.'

'You're leaving your phone here?' Owen asks shocked.

'Am I crazy?' Avery laughs but then realises what she's just said. 'Don't answer that.' She adds. Owen just smiles. 'I'm a teenager. I don't go anywhere without my phone; but knowing you, you've chosen somewhere with no service or very little service.'

'Very true.' Owen nods laughing. 'I'm going to make us some food and fill up some water bottles whilst you're getting ready.'

'Coolio.' Avery grins. She stands up and walks up to her room to get ready and Owen prepares packed lunches whilst she does. He also packs a backpack for each of them. Once they're ready, they make their way out to the car and Owen drives to a park.

.

When they arrive at the park they'll be hiking through, Owen parks and Avery waits whilst he goes to get a map. Whilst she's waiting, she makes use of the service before she loses it and texts the group chat she has with Megan and Jason.

Avery: Going on a hike with dad - won't have service so don't worry if I don't respond

Jase: You? Hiking? Never thought I'd see the day

Avery: Haha very funny

Jase: You know you love me

Avery: Unfortunately

Jase: Ouch

Jase: Have fun though

Trouble: You two have such good banter

Trouble: I second what Jason said, have fun

She's putting her phone away in her backpack just as Owen is returning.

'You ready?' He asks her.

'Yeah.' Avery nods. They both start their walk down one of the trails.

'You know, I didn't think you'd agree to this.' Owen tells her truthfully.

'Well, as you said earlier, we haven't had a lot of father-daughter time since I moved here.' Avery responds. 'Plus, it'll give me some fresh air and time to clear my head.'

'I'm glad you did agree.' Owen smiles.

After a few hours of walking, they reach the end of the trail where there's a beautiful scenery of rocks and a pond.

'Woah.' Avery gasps. 'I've seen things like this in L.A. but not like this.'

'T.K. and I came up here when we first moved here.' Owen says. 'I thought you'd like it up here.'

'I do.' Avery smiles. She steps closer to her dad and hugs him. He wraps his arms around her.

'Thank you for today.' She says. 'I've really enjoyed it.'

'Of course.' Owen nods as they part. 'We can come up here more if you like?'

'Just me and you?' Avery asks, hopeful.