Chapter Fifty

It's the day that T.K. and Carlos are announcing their engagement. T.K, Carlos and Owen are impressed that Avery has managed to keep the secret and that, in particular, she hasn't told Jason and Megan. The only other people that know are Carlos' parents, Andrea and Gabriel. Avery has managed to get everyone over for the party under the pretence of a Rodeo party to celebrate Carlos supposedly getting on the hall of fame in a local bar for breaking the record of longest time spent on their mechanical bull. Surprisingly, everyone bought it. She's spent the whole day decorating the house with balloons and banners that say "congratulations" whilst Owen has been preparing the food. Before they know it, it's an hour until the party. Owen walks into the garden where Avery is putting the finishing touches on the buffet spread.

'Ave.' He gets her attention and she turns to face him. 'People are going to start arriving soon so you might want to get ready.'

'It's okay, I've got time.' Avery shrugs.

'The last time you said that, it took you nearly an hour and a half.' Owen chuckles.

'In my defence,' Avery holds her hands up, 'I got distracted by Taylor Swift songs.'

'Go on.' Owen shakes his head, motioning for her to go get ready.

.

An hour and a half later, everyone from the 126, Grace, Andrea and Gabriel. Jason, Megan, Charlotte, Sharon and of course T.K and Carlos are at the Strand residence. They're all standing in the lounge with a drink.

'So, Carlos, how exactly did you manage to hold onto a mechanical bull for five minutes?' Judd asks Carlos. Carlos glares at Avery who smirks before turning back to Judd.

'Actually, that's not the reason for the party.' Carlos informs everyone.

'But Ave said-' Marjan starts.

'I know what Ave said.' Carlos sighs. 'I don't know why she said that. How she thought, me of all people, could hold onto one of those damn things for that long, I don't know.'

'Then why the party, and all the balloons, banners and food?' Paul asks, confused.

'Well, that is because,' T.K. starts, grabbing ahold of Carlos' hand, 'Carlos and I are engaged.' A chorus of "oh my gods" and "congratulations" fill the room. Everyone goes around and embraces the happy couple. After a while, everyone settles down. 'I honestly don't know how any of you believed Ave's ruse.' T.K. chuckles, shaking his head.

'To be fair, she was very believable.' Jason states. 'That's saying something coming from me because I can often tell when she's bullshitting.' He adds, laughing.

'Maybe I should pursue a career in acting.' Avery dramatically flicks her hair with her hand and everyone laughs.

'Well, there's food outside and some more drinks.' Owen tells everyone. 'I was going to put Avery in charge of music then I realised she'd only play Taylor Swift.'

'Hey!' Avery exclaims, pretending to be offended.

'I've connected my IPad to the soundbars so just queue up whatever song you want. We're all adults, well most of us.' Owen looks at the group of teens. 'So don't be throwing bitch fits over songs and changing songs halfway through.' Everyone laughs and makes their way outside.

.

Later that evening, everyone is out in the garden with some sparklers. Owen, Carlos and T.K. have avoided giving Avery one to try and avoid her dark humour and any impulsive thoughts she may get. So, when they turn their backs, Charlotte hands her one and lights it with a lighter.

'CHAR GAVE ME FIRE!' Avery yells. Everyone turns and looks at them.

'You gave her fire?!' Everyone exclaims at the same time.