Chapter Forty-Seven

The next day, Avery wakes up bright and early. She heads downstairs and to the kitchen where Owen is sitting at the table with a mug of coffee. After making her mug of coffee, she joins him.

'Morning.' He smiles.

'Morning.' Avery smiles slightly.

'How did you sleep?' Owen asks his daughter.

'Good.' Avery nods, taking a sip of coffee.

'So, your support worker for today called in sick, they haven't been able to find cover but I told the agency it was fine since I'll be here all day.' Owen tells her.

'Okay.' Avery nods. 'So, what's the plan?'

'We'll have some breakfast, have a chill morning and get started on your chair and sensory lights after lunch.' Owen replies.

'Cool.' Avery smiles.

'That being said, what do you want for breakfast?' Owen asks her.

'Erm, how about scrambled eggs and bagels? Something light.' Avery responds.

.

Later that afternoon, Owen and Avery are up in the reading room starting on Avery's new chair. They're sitting on the floor, have taken all the bits out of the boxes and have laid them out.

'Right, young lady.' Owen sighs. 'Before we start, no funny business with the tools.'

'Hey,' Avery puts her hands up in surrender, 'as long as I don't get bored, I won't touch any of the tools.' She drops her hands. 'That being said, you should probably keep the tools near you, just in case.'

'I was going to keep them close by anyway.' Owen laughs, shaking his head. 'Why don't you start putting up the other sensory lights where you wanted them?'

'Sure.' Avery nods, smiling. She stands up, picks up a box with some of the lights in and walks over to one of the bookshelves. She takes out a strip of LED lights and starts unravelling them to stick to the shelves. Whilst she's doing that, Owen starts building the chair. After half an hour, the base of the chair is built and Avery has set the lights up on the first bookshelf. Avery rejoins her dad on the floor.

'You want to help set up the rest of the chair?' Owen asks his daughter.

'Sure.' Avery nods, smiling. They get to work on the main part of the chair. 'This is nice.' Avery says. 'Working together to build this.'

'Yeah.' Owen smiles. 'It is.'

'Do you think we could do another hike soon?' Avery questions. 'We said we'd do it regularly but then everything happened and we never got round to doing another one.'

'Sure.' Owen grins, nodding. 'I'll start looking at some places we can go.'

'Thanks.' Avey beams. 'Just try not to sprain your ankle this time.' She chuckles.

'Very funny.' Owen replies sarcastically as he raises an eyebrow.

After a few hours, Avery's new chair with the lights is done and the other sensory lights are set up the way Avery wants them. She also has a couple of Galaxy light projectors, one of which is pointed towards the ceiling and the other towards a wall.

'It has come together really well.' Owen states, putting his hand on Avery's shoulder.

'Yeah.' Avery grins.

'I'm going to run out and get something for dinner.' He informs her. 'Do you want to come?'

'I think I'll stay here and read a little. Try out the new chair.' Avery responds.