Chapter Four

(re-uploading because there were some issues with notifications - which should be fixed now)

_

_

'What happened?' Judd asks.

'I took a bunch of pills and walked into the middle of the highway.' Avery replies, not making eye contact. 'I was hit by a truck. I had a concussion, broke my leg and fractured my pelvis.'

'Does your dad and T.K. know?' Judd questions.

'No, they don't.' They hear T.K. say. They look up and see T.K. He sits the other side of Avery.

'But my mom said that she told you.' Avery looks at him confused.

'No,' T.K. shakes his head, 'we never heard anything.'

'Why would mom hide something like that from you and dad?' Avery questions. 'I almost died, I-I-' she then stops and takes a deep breath. 'What did you mean when you said that I didn't know the full story?' Before T.K. can answer, they're called for their flight.

'Look, we'll talk about it with dad when we get home.' T.K. says. 'I promise.' The three of them then stand up and make their way to board the plane.

.

Three hours later, T.K., Avery and Judd have arrived back in Austin. They all stand outside. Whilst Avery has her eyes fixated on her phone with her earphones in, T.K. and Judd talk.

'Thanks for coming with me.' T.K. thanks Judd.

'No problem.' Judd nods. 'Are you going to speak to her about what she told us?'

'Yeah.' T.K. sighs and nods. 'I'm going to wait until she's ready to talk to dad about it though. That's her story to tell, not mine.' He looks at his little sister. 'I had no idea she was feeling like that. Whenever we were on facetime, she was always smiling. I didn't - I didn't see how forced it was.'

'T.K., you weren't to know.' Judd puts his hand on his shoulder. 'Teenagers are amazing at hiding how they're truly feeling. When you two get some time alone, talk to her. She needs to know that you're always there for her. She may already know it, but she needs to hear it come from you.'

'Yeah.' T.K. says quietly. 'I better get her home.' They both join Avery and she takes her earphones out. 'You ready?'

'Yeah.' Avery nods.

'Dad is at work so we'll talk with him later.' T.K. informs her.

'I better get home to Grace.' Judd states. He looks at Avery. 'No more running away.'

'Can't promise that.' Avery laughs. T.K. shoots her a glare. 'What?' He continues to glare at her. 'It was joke.'

'I'll see you guys tomorrow.' Judd laughs before walking away.

'That wasn't funny.' T.K. raises his eyebrow at Avery. 'You had us all worried sick. Dad wasn't sleeping. He was sat by the phone waiting for a call off Carlos or anyone, saying that you're safe.' The smile fades from Avery's face.

'Really?' She asks quietly.

'Yeah.' T.K. nods. 'Come on. Let's go home.'

.

When they get home, Avery walks straight through to the front room and sits on the sofa with her legs crossed.

'I'm going to order some pizza.' T.K. says from behind her. 'What do you want?'

'I'm not hungry.' Avery says quietly. T.K. walks around to her and sits beside her.

'You need to eat something, Ave. You haven't eaten anything since this morning.' T.K. tells her.