Chapter Twenty - Five

Avery is in the OR with Willis performing the surgery. Angus is assisting as they are short staffed in the OR. Whilst she is doing that, Jesse calls Owen to inform him of what happened. He sits at the OR nurse's station, brings up Avery's file and dials Owen's number.

In L.A., everyone is anxiously waiting at the 126. Owen couldn't get hold of the hospital when he tried to call them. Owen's phone rings. He gets it out and looks at it.

'It's a private number.' Owen states, his phone shaking. 'I don't know if I can answer it, what if-'

'I'll answer.' T.K. tells him, extending his hand. Owen smiles gratefully and hands his phone to his son. T.K. accepts the call and puts the phone to his ear. 'Hello?'

'Hello. My name is Jesse Sallander, I'm a nurse from Angel's Memorial E.R. Am I speaking with Owen Strand?' Jesse starts.

'No. This is his son, T.K.' T.K. replies. 'He was a bit hesitant to answer because of my sister. Is she- is she okay?'

'Avery was injured in the shooting. She sustained some serious injuries and is currently in surgery.' Jesse informs him.

'How bad is it?' T.K. asks.

'I'd rather not discuss that over the phone. I know you live in Austin. How soon do you think you can get to L.A.?' Jesse says.

'We can leave tonight.' T.K. tells him. 'What about Megan Sheppard? Her friend. Is she okay? We're practically family to her.'

'I haven't been treating Megan but she was also injured. I will get one of the nurses or doctors that have been treating you to give you a call as soon as they can.' Jesse explains.

'Okay, thank you.' T.K. nods.

'If anything changes I will be sure to let you know or have someone else let you know.'

'Thank you, I appreciate it.'

'Have a safe journey.' Jesse says.

'Thanks, bye.'

'Bye.' Jesse hangs up and T.K. hands the phone back to Owen.

'What did they say?' Owen questions. T.K. sits down, sighs and runs his hands through his hair.

'Avery and Megan were both injured in the shooting.' T.K. informs them.

'How bad?' Carlos asks.

'The nurse said Ave's injuries were serious, she's in surgery. He couldn't give me much information on Megan because he didn't treat her so he's going to get someone who did treat her to call as soon as they can.' T.K. replies.

'How are you getting to L.A?' Judd queries.

'We'll drive.' Owen responds. 'We'll make like one stop on the way to rest. If we do leave tonight we'll be there the day after tomorrow.'

'We're out of rotation. Why don't you two go now? Get packed.' Judd suggests. 'I'll look after everything here.'

'You sure?' Owen asks Judd.

'Of course.' Judd nods.

'Thank you.' Owen smiles slightly. He stands up and so does T.K. 'Let's go.' He nods at his son. He then looks at Jason. 'Come on.' Jason stands up. 'You can come with us. Ave and Megan would want you there.'

'Thanks.' Jason nods. 'I'll let my mom know.' T.K. walks up to Carlos and kisses him.

'We'll keep you all updated.' T.K. tells everyone. They all nod, say their goodbyes and Jason, T.K. and Owen leave.