Chapter Three

Later that night, Avery sneaks back into the house. She walks up to her room and packs a backpack with a few sets of clothes, her pyjamas, some make up, her phone charger and her wallet and passport. She puts her jacket on, sneaks back out of the house and makes her way to the airport. As she's making her way to the airport she books some last-minute plane tickets. Since she's flown with the airline alone before and it's a small independent airline, she doesn't need to worry about them contacting Owen. She manages to get the final seat on the first plane first thing in the morning so she checks into the hotel next door.

.

It's the next morning, Owen and T.K. wake up around the same time. They both walk to Avery's room to see if she had returned whilst they were asleep.

'Do you know if she came back?' Owen queries.

'I didn't hear her.' T.K. shakes his head. Owen sighs and opens the door. They both look in and see that the room is empty.

'I'll try calling her.' Owen says as he gets his phone out. T.K. notices that Avery's closet is slightly open. He walks into the room, to the closet and looks in. He sees that it's a complete mess and that it looks emptier.

'Dad!' T.K. calls for Owen. After a few minutes, Owen joins him.

'She's not answering her phone.' Owen informs T.K. 'What's up?'

'Some of her clothes are missing,' T.K. states, 'and this closet is a mess. You know Avery likes to be tidy. She's run away.'

'She can't have gone far.' Owen shakes his head. 'We'll look for her first before calling the police.'

'I'll call around and see if someone can help us look for her.' T.K. says as he gets his phone out. He walks out of the room and after a few minutes, he returns. 'Matteo, Judd, Marjan, Paul, Michelle and Carlos are on their way.'

'Let's keep trying to call her.' Owen says.

A few days have passed. Avey has been in L.A. After spending a few days in a hotel thinking, she decides to take a walk to Station 118. After arriving at the station, she waits for a few minutes, takes a deep breath and walks in. Chimney, is doing inventory on the ambulance, spots her and walks over to her.

'Avery, I thought you were in Austin with your dad and brother?' Chimney asks confused.

'Yeah, we just came to finish off some paperwork.' Avery lies. 'The CPS forgot to ask my dad to fill out some forms and it can only be done in the L.A. office.'

'How's it going?' Chimney asks. 'With your dad and brother?'

'My dad and I have already gotten into a few arguments.' Avery replies. 'It was bound to happen though.' There are a few moments of silence. 'Erm-is it okay if I hang out here for a bit? My dad might be a while.'

'Of course.' Chimney nods. 'Come on.' They both walk up the stairs. Bobby is stood at the kitchen counter pouring himself a mug of coffee. 'Hey, Cap.' Bobby looks up at them. 'You remember Avery from the Quarry accident, right?'

'Yeah.' Bobby nods. 'What brings you to L.A.'

'My dad and brother have to fill out some paperwork with CPS. For legal reasons, it can apparently only be done at the office here.' Avery tells him.

'It is okay if she stays here until her dad finishes?' Chimney queries.

'Of course.' Bobby smiles and nods. 'It's good to see you again, Avery. I'm sorry about your mom.'

'Thanks.' Avery smiles slightly.

.

It has been just over an hour, Avery has spoken to everyone and been introduced to them properly. She is sat with Chimeny when Athena walks up the stairs with Bobby.